Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max. Number of cities!

Hallo everybody,

I find, like most of you, the fact that the AI builds lots and lots of cities (of which most are useless) foolish.
    Thus, I was wondering if there is any way you can set the max. number of cities that a civ can build. The only thing I could find in the editor was to set the optimal number of cities. I might be missing something here but I searched in the FAQ and I still could not find anything!
    Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
    Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
    Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

No, there's no way to set a specific number. Not that it would be fair in any case, unless you also allowed yourself that same number. The only limit is the ultimate one of 512 cities in total, which is hardcoded, and not editable.

However, there are a number of ways you can do to slow it down some. I'm not going to go into any details, since I don't have the time, but just fool around with some things in the editor. One thing that's really easy to do is to make the Settler into a wheeled unit, so it has to have a road in order to get into a jungle, or over Mountains.

And with the next patch, you'll be able to restrict the production of cities on certain terrain, which will probably slow it down some as well. For instance you could set it for no cities allowed on Desert, which is what I'm planning.

Comment

that number of 512 - is that for all cities of one civ or all cities of all civs combined?
      Up the Irons!
      Rogue CivIII FAQ!
      Odysseus and the March of Time
      I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

AFAIK, it's for all cities of all civs combined. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I read this, so I can't tell for sure.

Comment

Ok, I found it in the release notes from patch 1.16:

"The maximum number of cities permitted in a game is 512, increased from 256."

Comment

In the last 2 patches, I have noticed a slow down in the rampant AI build, it is not trying to populate each and every 1 square tile like it used to.

Comment

Working...
            X