Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Darktrooper Project (Star wars add on to Civ III)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darktrooper Project (Star wars add on to Civ III)

I have just started making the darktrooper today. I am using screenshots from Starwars Galatic Battleground to extract the darktrooper. Here are the discription that are given in the manual:

This experimental tech level 3 rainged attack unit is more effective than strike mech at dispersing enemy infantry formations, and can detect units that are imperceptible to standard scans-units such as concealed jedi. -Star Wars: Galatic Battleground Manual pg 43
    Please be paitent on screenshots since I have just started. All I have right now are the full size images used in Darktrooperidle.flc
    Click for larger image
    "All your base are belong to us" -Cats | "You don't leave an enemy at your back. Not if you like living." - Mara Jade | "You know the first rule in combat? ...shoot them before they shoot you." - Faye Valentine

Looks good - there's actually a team creating a Star Wars total conversion at Star Wars: A New Mod , so you might want to submit it to them so they can use it in that mod. A Dark Trooper would be a very cool addition!

Keep up the good work
    Up the Irons!
    Rogue CivIII FAQ!
    Odysseus and the March of Time
    I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

btw - there's a prog called DRS viewer that allows you to extract bmp images of SW:GB units, which might come in handy
      Up the Irons!
      Rogue CivIII FAQ!
      I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

btw - there's a prog called DRS viewer that allows you to extract bmp images of SW:GB units, which might come in handy -zulu9812
        I am way ahead of you. I have already downloaded the DRS viewer.
        "All your base are belong to us" -Cats | "You don't leave an enemy at your back. Not if you like living." - Mara Jade | "You know the first rule in combat? ...shoot them before they shoot you." - Faye Valentine

Comment

Ok, Ive gotten the materials for the Darktrooper. Now I need some help adjusting it. I have been doing some testing and some how the Darktrooper likes to "Hang" around the southern end of the "white unit circle" when it is selected. To me it does not look right. How do you make a unit be centered in the circle in the game? or have the feat centered in the circle? Its quite hard to find the right dimentions in flicster to have the unit be centered. Its mutch easyer in Civ II since it has them isometric dimonds to help.
          Last edited by CivGeneral; June 16, 2002, 23:43.

Comment

Hmm... It seams that I might have to scale down the Darktrooper in order for it to be in the center of the "Unit selected Circle" and be sean in the City Build box. Looks like in the morning I am going to work on it. . It just that the Darktrooper is to big(Size wise) that is causing the problem. Probibly reduce it by 80%-65% would make it look right.

Comment

Until FLICster can change the offsets (next version) you have to have the feet centered in the image, use FLICster to resize then move it up in your drawing program.
              If you are resizing the unit check other units for the right size.
              Was gone for two years, I'm back now.
              in a 3D world is there a difference between these: b d q p | / - \
              3D Unit tutorial
              My units: MechWalker,Rocket soldier,Hover Tank,Crawler,Hover Copter

Comment

I wonder how TedG got his AT-ST and other units stay in the center? Is he using a Flicster-like program that has the offset built in it .

Comment

Found solution

Thanks to TedG the Darktrooper Project shall keep on running.

Until FLICster can change the offsets (next version) you have to have the feet centered in the image, use FLICster to resize then move it up in your drawing program. -Level
                  Apperantly there is a way to change the offset.
                  I would also like to pass on information on how to *ahem* manualy set the offset for any beguiners to Flicster.

Open your .flc in FLICster and export it as 8 individual .flc files. Where you exported it, there should be an .ini file. Open the .ini file, and you should see a value called "y_offset." If your unit is below the center of the tile, you want to change this value to something lower than what it was. If your unit is above the center, make it a higher value. Save your changes and open the .ini file with FLICster, and it will recompile your unit into a single .flc file. Now replace your old .flc witht the new one that you just created and test it in the game. You may have to repeat the process through trial and error until your unit is in the center of the circle. -TedG at: Civfanatics.com
                  Hope this information helps people who are starting out editing units with flicster(like me ) Now it is time to figure out how to have the Darktrooper's feet stay insted of doing the "Darktrooper Bounce" . Like I said I am starting out.

<-"Thanks to TedG, I am free from this editing block" -Mr. Smilie

Comment

that's a brilliant tip :b
                    Up the Irons!
                    Rogue CivIII FAQ!

Comment

I wonder...does DRS Viewer work with Age of Empire 2 (since they are essesntially the same game)?
                      Up the Irons!
                      Rogue CivIII FAQ!

Comment

I wonder...does DRS Viewer work with Age of Empire 2 (since they are essesntially the same game)? -zulu9812
                        Possibly. Though I do not have AoE2. Its worth a try.

Comment

Civfan01 - I've never created a unit before, but 'converting' from AoE and SW:BG looks a good place to start. Since you're also just starting out, I don't suppose you feel like taking us through what you did? A lot of people go on about how we should get off our backsides and make the units ourselves, and it'd be nice to get the perspective of someone who is also new to the modelling game. I can understand if you don't feel like it, but please bear it in mind.
                          Up the Irons!
                          Rogue CivIII FAQ!

Comment

Here is what I did in creating the Dark Trooper unit. First, I downloaded the DRS Viewer, Paint Shop Po, and Flicster. With the DRS Viewer I make sure that the mask, Inner and outer outlines have the color (255 Red, 0 Green, and 255 Blue), Once the Mask, And the two outlines have the same color as the "Pink" background, Then I Saved it as an Image sequence in another folder(Name for example Darktrooperidle and the DRS viewer should automadicly adds ###.bmp) I find out the dimentions using MS Paint( Or just clicking on it if you have Windows 98 or XP, It should show the With X Hight in pixels.) Then I count how many are in one segment(I.E. The Animation of the Unit in one direction). With Flicster. Select New and typed in the frame size(in pixels) and how many frames I want(This is where counting the Unt Segments comes in) For Example, In Darktrooperidle.flc it contains 8 fraimes with the dimentions of 51 X 67 pixels.
                            Then I converted the Units#.pcx into a Bitamap file(Dont worry, no harm will be done to the original Units##.bmp). Rember, The Very top, The unit faces the South Western Direction. Here How to Remember. From Top to bottom, SW,S,SE,E,NE,N,NW, and W. Open Units##.Bmp and you will find a grid. Start from the very top left hand corner. Using MS Paint I used Paste From.. Command. Using The DRS viewer. Select the unit that faces in the south western direction. Now (If you have gathered all of your materials) you can use the DRS Viewer as somewhat of a check list. Keep using Paste From untill you have filled up the top row.
                            What if the Unit is facing the other direction? There is a simple solution, You are going to have to use the Flip Horizontaly comand to get the unit facing to the direction you want. What if I have already have the unit, But I am now at the SE,(NW, or W)? You are going to have to copy what ever you have in the SW,(NE, or E) and paste them to the approprieate direction and Individualyu flip each frame horizontaly.( Do not flip the entire row, just each individual frame). Once finished. Save your work.(Incase power goes off, Kids folling with the computer, etc) Now you are ready to use Paint Shop Pro. Retail or Trial version all work the same. Open Up the Unit##.pcx(Remember it is in the same folder as the Bitmap version is.) Depending on the size. In MS Paint, Select and Copy each row and in Paint Shop Pro (Important note: Make sure you use the color picker to select the "Pink" Background. Just Right click on the background.) Once you have color picked the "Pink" as your background color, you are ready to head on to the next.
                            Remember that you selected and copied the row in the MS Paint. Now it is time to transfer that ro via pasting it onto PSP. Make sure that you paste it As Transparent Selection. Keep coping from MS paint and pasting (Do you remember to pase As Transparent Selection) into Paint Shop Pro. Once You have all of your rows in the Unit##.pcx it is time to save (Suggestion: Save each time you paste in a row(Incase power goes off, Kids folling with the computer, etc) Now you are ready for Flicster.
                            In Flicster the window should be open with the Unit##.pcx you are working on. If not, use open and go to the folder named unit##. It should be in the Flicster sub-directory. Open the file that says Unit##_Storyboard.FXM. Select each compas point to see if your unit come out correctly. If it does then you are ready for the next part.
                            Using the export button it should create a Unit##.Flc file. That file is not ready yet. Whay do you ask "Its not ready?". The current version of flicster does not do anything with the offset. You are going to have to do the offset manualy. someone at Civfanatics forum gave me this set of instructions.
                            Open your .flc in FLICster and export it as 8 individual .flc files. Where you exported it, there should be an .ini file. Open the .ini file, and you should see a value called "y_offset." If your unit is below the center of the tile, you want to change this value to something lower than what it was. If your unit is above the center, make it a higher value. Save your changes and open the .ini file with FLICster, and it will recompile your unit into a single .flc file. Now replace your old .flc witht the new one that you just created and test it in the game. You may have to repeat the process through trial and error until your unit is in the center of the circle. -TedG at: Civfanatics.com
                            Once you have changed the Y_offset value. With Flicster open the unit##.ini. (dont worry about the messages just click on the yeses and okays. Then export and export again in the new window that is created. Testing Time. copy the Unit##.flc (The one with the edited offset, dont worry it is already in the file) into a unit file that you are creating( If you are not at the point of creating a .Ini i have included it in this tutoral) For now just place it in thw warrior unit and go into the warrior.ini and rename Warriordefault.flc to Unit##.flc. Open up civ III and start a new game. If the new unit look ok to you then you are ready for the next part. If id does not look right. then you are going to have to go back to the Unit##.ini and changing the Y_offset value.

Creating a new unit:
                            Here are some important files you need folder with a units name on it(Just create a new folder and rename it to your custom units name), A .ini (This can be found in other unit's folders, just copy one into your new folder.), *.flc files, and *.wav files. To get the unit working properly (using the Warrior's ini file) You need rename this

[Speed]
                            Normal Speed=225
                            Fast Speed=225

[Animations]
                            BLANK=
                            DEFAULT=warriorDefault.flc
                            WALK=
                            RUN=WarriorRun.flc
                            ATTACK1=WarriorAttackA.flc
                            ATTACK2=WarriorAttackB.flc
                            ATTACK3=
                            DEFEND=
                            DEATH=WarriorDeath.flc
                            DEAD=
                            FORTIFY=WarriorFortify.flc
                            FORTIFYHOLD=
                            FIDGET=warriorFidget.flc
                            VICTORY=WarriorVictory.flc
                            TURNLEFT=
                            TURNRIGHT=
                            BUILD=
                            ROAD=
                            MINE=
                            IRRIGATE=
                            FORTRESS=
                            CAPTURE=
                            STOP_AT_LAST_FRAME=
                            PauseROAD=
                            PauseMINE=
                            PauseIRRIGATE=

[Timing]
                            BLANK=0.500000
                            DEFAULT=0.500000
                            WALK=0.500000
                            RUN=0.500000
                            ATTACK1=0.500000
                            ATTACK2=0.500000
                            ATTACK3=0.500000
                            DEFEND=0.500000
                            DEATH=0.500000
                            DEAD=0.500000
                            FORTIFY=0.500000
                            FORTIFYHOLD=0.500000
                            FIDGET=0.500000
                            VICTORY=0.500000
                            TURNLEFT=0.500000
                            TURNRIGHT=0.500000
                            BUILD=0.500000
                            ROAD=0.500000
                            MINE=0.500000
                            IRRIGATE=0.500000
                            FORTRESS=0.500000
                            CAPTURE=0.500000
                            STOP_AT_LAST_FRAME=0.500000
                            PauseROAD=0.500000
                            PauseMINE=0.500000
                            PauseIRRIGATE=0.500000

[Sound Effects]
                            BLANK=
                            DEFAULT=
                            WALK=
                            RUN=WarriorRun.amb
                            ATTACK1=WarriorAttackA.amb
                            ATTACK2=WarriorAttackB.amb
                            ATTACK3=
                            DEFEND=
                            DEATH=WarriorDeath.wav
                            DEAD=
                            FORTIFY=WarriorFortify.wav
                            FORTIFYHOLD=
                            FIDGET=WarriorFidget.wav
                            VICTORY=WarriorVictory.wav
                            TURNLEFT=
                            TURNRIGHT=
                            BUILD=
                            ROAD=
                            MINE=
                            IRRIGATE=
                            FORTRESS=
                            CAPTURE=
                            STOP_AT_LAST_FRAME=
                            PauseROAD=
                            PauseMINE=
                            PauseIRRIGATE=
                            [Version]
                            VERSION=1
                            [Palette]
                            PALETTE=
                            warrior.ini
                            to this
                            (Note I am using the Dark Trooper.ini file as an example)

[Speed]
                            Normal Speed=225
                            Fast Speed=225

[Animations]
                            BLANK=
                            DEFAULT=DarkTrooperidle.flc
                            WALK=
                            RUN=DarktrooperRun.flc
                            ATTACK1=DarktrooperAttackA.flc
                            ATTACK2=
                            ATTACK3=
                            DEFEND=
                            DEATH=DarkTrooperDeath.flc
                            DEAD=
                            FORTIFY=DarktrooperIdle.flc
                            FORTIFYHOLD=DarktrooperIdle.flc
                            FIDGET=DarktrooperIdle.flc
                            VICTORY=DarktrooperIdle.flc
                            TURNLEFT=
                            TURNRIGHT=
                            BUILD=
                            ROAD=
                            MINE=
                            IRRIGATE=
                            FORTRESS=
                            CAPTURE=
                            STOP_AT_LAST_FRAME=
                            PauseROAD=
                            PauseMINE=
                            PauseIRRIGATE=

[Timing]
                            BLANK=0.500000
                            DEFAULT=0.500000
                            WALK=0.500000
                            RUN=0.500000
                            ATTACK1=0.500000
                            ATTACK2=0.500000
                            ATTACK3=0.500000
                            DEFEND=0.500000
                            DEATH=0.500000
                            DEAD=0.500000
                            FORTIFY=0.500000
                            FORTIFYHOLD=0.500000
                            FIDGET=0.500000
                            VICTORY=0.500000
                            TURNLEFT=0.500000
                            TURNRIGHT=0.500000
                            BUILD=0.500000
                            ROAD=0.500000
                            MINE=0.500000
                            IRRIGATE=0.500000
                            FORTRESS=0.500000
                            CAPTURE=0.500000
                            PauseROAD=0.500000
                            PauseMINE=0.500000
                            PauseIRRIGATE=0.500000

[Sound Effects]
                            BLANK=
                            DEFAULT=
                            WALK=
                            RUN=DTWalk.wav
                            ATTACK1=DTAttackA.wav
                            ATTACK2=
                            ATTACK3=
                            DEFEND=
                            DEATH=DTDeath.wav
                            DEAD=
                            FORTIFY=DTFortify.wav
                            FORTIFYHOLD=
                            FIDGET=
                            VICTORY=
                            TURNLEFT=
                            TURNRIGHT=
                            BUILD=
                            ROAD=
                            MINE=
                            IRRIGATE=
                            FORTRESS=
                            CAPTURE=
                            STOP_AT_LAST_FRAME=
                            PauseROAD=
                            PauseMINE=
                            PauseIRRIGATE=
                            [Version]
                            VERSION=1
                            [Palette]
                            PALETTE=
                            -Dark Trooper.ini
                            Removing or adding file names to each section. Let me explain what each one does.

[Speed]
                            Normal Speed=225 } Dont Change
                            Fast Speed=225 }

[Animations]
                            BLANK=
                            DEFAULT= <- Unit standing
                            WALK= <- Unit Walking (Possibly Alternative to running)
                            RUN= <-Default (Unit Running)
                            ATTACK1= <-First Attack Animation
                            ATTACK2= <-Second
                            ATTACK3= <-third
                            DEFEND= <-Same as attack(unless jet fighter)
                            DEATH= <-unit killed
                            DEAD= <-No Animations (Possibly decay animations)
                            FORTIFY= <-Geting Ready to fortify
                            FORTIFYHOLD= <-"Holding The Fort"
                            FIDGET= <-Bored Unit, Not moved in a while
                            VICTORY= <-Unit's victory Dance
                            TURNLEFT= <-unknown
                            TURNRIGHT= <-Unknown
                            BUILD= <-Workers animation
                            ROAD= <-Workers animation (also for air drop)
                            MINE= <-Workers animation
                            IRRIGATE= <-Workers animation
                            FORTRESS= <-Workers animation
                            CAPTURE= <-Workers animation
                            STOP_AT_LAST_FRAME= <-Unknown
                            PauseROAD= <-Workers animation
                            PauseMINE= <-Workers animation
                            PauseIRRIGATE= <-Workers animation

[Timing]<- Timeing of each event (Dont touch if you dont
                            BLANK=0.500000 know what it does)
                            DEFAULT=0.500000
                            WALK=0.500000
                            RUN=0.500000
                            ATTACK1=0.500000
                            ATTACK2=0.500000
                            ATTACK3=0.500000
                            DEFEND=0.500000
                            DEATH=0.500000
                            DEAD=0.500000
                            FORTIFY=0.500000
                            FORTIFYHOLD=0.500000
                            FIDGET=0.500000
                            VICTORY=0.500000
                            TURNLEFT=0.500000
                            TURNRIGHT=0.500000
                            BUILD=0.500000
                            ROAD=0.500000
                            MINE=0.500000
                            IRRIGATE=0.500000
                            FORTRESS=0.500000
                            CAPTURE=0.500000
                            PauseROAD=0.500000
                            PauseMINE=0.500000
                            PauseIRRIGATE=0.500000

[Sound Effects] <- Same discription as animatons but
                            BLANK= are sound follies( Dont know if I
                            DEFAULT= Spelt it correctly. the word has to
                            WALK= do with added sound effects in
                            RUN=DTWalk.wav movies)
                            ATTACK1=DTAttackA.wav
                            ATTACK2=
                            ATTACK3=
                            DEFEND=
                            DEATH=DTDeath.wav
                            DEAD=
                            FORTIFY=DTFortify.wav
                            FORTIFYHOLD=
                            FIDGET=
                            VICTORY=
                            TURNLEFT=
                            TURNRIGHT=
                            BUILD=
                            ROAD=
                            MINE=
                            IRRIGATE=
                            FORTRESS=
                            CAPTURE=
                            STOP_AT_LAST_FRAME=
                            PauseROAD=
                            PauseMINE=
                            PauseIRRIGATE=
                            [Version]
                            VERSION=1 <- Your version Number here (Optional)
                            [Palette]
                            PALETTE= <- Unknown

At last know you know how to create a unit. Amase your friends, Co-Workers, or bosses

Remember the old saying
                            If you dont know what it does, then Dont touch it. -Civilizatin II: The official strategy guide Prima
                            Last edited by CivGeneral; June 18, 2002, 13:23.

Comment

Boy. This looks like good material to go into a stragety Guide .
                              Civfan01 - I've never created a unit before, but 'converting' from AoE and SW:BG looks a good place to start. Since you're also just starting out, I don't suppose you feel like taking us through what you did? A lot of people go on about how we should get off our backsides and make the units ourselves, and it'd be nice to get the perspective of someone who is also new to the modelling game. I can understand if you don't feel like it, but please bear it in mind. -zulu9812
                              Dont worry. I have already placed it in a form of a tutoral in the above post (For others who are browsing this forum), Is almost what I bascily did (With a litthe help from TedG) .

Comment

Working...
                              X