BMP to PCX problem. Need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMP to PCX problem. Need help

Does anyone know how to convert a *.Bmp to a *.pcx file compadible to Civilization III? When I convert a bmp file to a pcx I used the "Microsoft Picture It" to convert it. When loaded onto Civ 3 it tends to crashes. I even tried converting it with the ACD photo enhanser saving it as a *.pcx file. I used both programs to save the *.bmp file as a *.pcx. Any ideas on how to properly convert a bmp file to a Civ 3 friendly Pcx?
    "All your base are belong to us" -Cats | "You don't leave an enemy at your back. Not if you like living." - Mara Jade | "You know the first rule in combat? ...shoot them before they shoot you." - Faye Valentine

Any one ? It even causes the background to not change when Alpha blend is enabled in Flicster.
    "All your base are belong to us" -Cats | "You don't leave an enemy at your back. Not if you like living." - Mara Jade | "You know the first rule in combat? ...shoot them before they shoot you." - Faye Valentine

Comment

Does anyone know if Flictser can convert bmps?
      Up the Irons!
      Rogue CivIII FAQ!
      Odysseus and the March of Time
      I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Does anyone know if Flictser can convert bmps? -zulu9812
        Nope, it is a *.pcx file only program . *Sigh* gone with the days when it was simpler to edit Civilization II. Flictster only imports and exports a *.pcx file . If only there was a *.bmp freindly program that can edit Civilization III's *.pcx files with no hassle, no crashes, and no worring about that pink background that you need for as an alpha(Transparrent zone). I even tried to convert the *.Pcx with "Picture It" and save it as a *.bmp. Then edit the *.bmp and when I am done I convert it back to a *.pcx via "Picture It". The problem, apperantly something is going on in the editing stage. Possibly removing an Alpha Channel (In witch when I check-marked Alpha Blend in flicster, the same-old pink background is still there not turning grey like the ones that came with the game do.) Before, I even tried to edit the Units_32.pcx ,with the same converting process as above, but when loaded into the game it fine. Its just when you go to the build section(I assume thats were Units_32.pcx goes to) It just freezes and a few moments later an error message appeares. I hope that when Fraxis releaces there PTW expantion pack that in includes some sourt of program to convert a *.pcx to a *.Bmp and *.Bmp to *.pcx. Or did as they did when they releaced fantastic worlds.(FW uses the *.gif files as default images while the *.bmp overrides the *.gif files)

zulu9812, You are in the same boat as the rest of the people who are having touble with this *.bmp <-> *.pcx conversion.

Comment

dude you can do that in paint shop pro in like 5 seconds. open it up, reduce the colors to 256, and then save it as a .pcx. Of course, you will soon figure out that you need to also edit the palette so that index number 255 is straight purple and 254 is light purple (well, not technically, but whatever color is index 255 and 254 will be transparent so that is the easy way to explain it).

Comment

dude you can do that in paint shop pro in like 5 seconds. open it up, reduce the colors to 256, and then save it as a .pcx. Of course, you will soon figure out that you need to also edit the palette so that index number 255 is straight purple and 254 is light purple -Mizaq
            Looks possible. With only one draw back. I dont have paint shop pro. I just have MS paint . I looked every where on my computer.

Comment

And I am not going to spend $109 for paint shop pro . Though you did gave me good advice though Mizaq, It just that I cannot afford Paint shop pro. (and I am not endorsing or encureging anything wirez related . It not the right thing to do downloading things from a wirez page and watching money coming out of the corporate pockets . so please dont mention anything about illegaly downloaded software, for the corporate sakes, and the forum's sakes )
              May be there might be something out there. some sourt of freeware utillity that can convert a *.pcx<->*.bmp but i seriously doubt it that it even exist

Comment

ack... I ment to edit the above post. not create a new post. Sorry about that

Comment

Well, can MS Picture It reduce the colors to 256??

I can send you a sortof a freeware that does that... wait a sec...

IfranView is excellent:

.xyz is for every website, everywhere.® We offer the most flexible and affordable domain names to create choice for the next generation of internet users.

Comment

Lview too

.xyz is for every website, everywhere.® We offer the most flexible and affordable domain names to create choice for the next generation of internet users.

(new)

(old)

Comment

dude did you even bother to explore Jasc's website or did you just dismiss my suggestion after seeing the price of the full version? How about you go to http://www.jasc.com/download_4.asp? and try their evaluation version...for free.

BTW, I believe you mean warez not wirez

Comment

Mizaq, I have downloaded the trial version. It worked . Tanks Mizaq

dude did you even bother to explore Jasc's website or did you just dismiss my suggestion after seeing the price of the full version? -Mizaq
                        I looked for it when I posted the price of what one cost. Although what scared me the most was the download size. Tankfully I found an older version Paint shop pro 4. At least it works. I do most of my editing on the bmp. Now I can transfer them via Paint shop pro on to a *.pcx. . I am already starting on a new projects. The Darktrooper project. See post for more details.

Comment

It is possible to just rename to/from .BMP/.PCX.
                          MS Paint in some windows versions can open .PCXs although it flips the palettte.
                          The next version of FLICster will save as .BMP.
                          If the background is not transparent it is because it is the wrong color, it should be the last color in the palette, the palette might be flipped or you might need to fill the background with the right color.
                          Was gone for two years, I'm back now.
                          in a 3D world is there a difference between these: b d q p | / - \
                          3D Unit tutorial
                          My units: MechWalker,Rocket soldier,Hover Tank,Crawler,Hover Copter

Comment

renaming doesn't work

and it's not as simple as converting it to a pcx and thinking it's all going to work, what you will get is either a lot pink everywhere or your colours will be all wrong.

I really can't be bothered to explain how to do it, but you should find something around here that does
                            be free

Comment

Yeah, I use still use psp version 4.12.

Comment

Working...
                              X