Please Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help

Ok this game has been crazy since I got it. But never have I fully one a game on regent level yet. Now i'm trying to change that. But its mad hard. Surviving the ancient age seems to be my problem, but not anymore. I played a game in regent and expanded so much that England and india had less than about half of my total empire structure.

Middle ages come. Its all good i set to research gunpowder. Wait about 150 turns or so to get started. Then i get it up to 11 turns to research gunpoweder. I'm like, "yes i'm in the game, i'll research this and own with my mitlitary." I check the advisor he's like We are technologically advanced *big smile* Well maybe now I know what that big smiles for.

11 turns later I'm all happy I have gunpowder. Than boom low money income(-30 or so), I suddenly become a backwards nation. What the hell just happened. That big smile left sid meir now. And i'm pissed off. How the hell did all this happen. I can't lose now. I got this far. Help!!!

So i check my diplomacy. I go, Elizabeth whats up. Then I noticed, Pure human hatred I tell ya. Queen Elizabeth met up with all the other nations, traded with them, and like every1 else became advanced. In shorter terms all the computer players are helping eachother out. I try to get a piece of the action, they ask for all my god and resources. Yea like I'll give it to them. Crap how am i going to get outta this.

Here is a saved file of when this crap started to happen. Please see what you can do. http://www.someplacesomewhere.com/up...%20America.SAV

Its about 3mb if you can please help I would be so happy.

Impressions.

You don't have much income.

You have the Governers running the city. Thats inefficient and you get the same lousy results the AI does. Run them yourself excepting maybe setting the governor to controll the cities mood.

Cincinnati is producing Wealth. Thats a double waste. The city is corrupt and Wealth is at 8 shields to 1 coin till you get econimics. It a bad choice till you have that tech for any city and especially a corrupt one. Build a courthouse there. It needs one badly.

There is a fortification next to Cincinatti. Thats not good unless you are ready to put someone in it should a war start. Unoccupied forts allow the AI to use them as base to attack your city.

You Forbidden Palace in ABSOLUTELY THE WORST POSSIBLE PLACE YOU COULD PUT IT besides your capital. It is only helping the city it is in, every other city is closer to the capital. Even if you intend to move your capital its still in the wrong place.

You are screwed that way. The only thing you can do now is to move your capital. Its no wonder you have a corruption with distance problem.

You have a huge number of offensive units in your capital. They should be on the frontier.

Its late in the game to only have contact with your two closest neighbors. Build some ships and go find people.

You haven't even started building a road to your salpeter so you can't use the gunpowder tech yet.

Boy do you have a lot of mountains in your borders. Not much you can do about that.

Right now Elizebeth is polite. However you have here severly cramped and she is likely to choose you as her expansion area since there is no where else to go.

You must make contact with other civs to trade with them. That is a huge advantage for Elizebeth at present. She can trade or buy tech from others. You have NO trade with her so she has no reason to play nice with you.

Considering the way your empire is seriously crippled by the Forbidden Palaces excreable position you might just want to consider this a game a learning experience that you have learned enough from. Start a new game and NEVER put your Forbidden Palace on the farthest possible point from all your other cities again. No wonder you are short on cash.

The reason the AI civs can look as if they are conspiring against you is that you have not taken the initiative. YOU must trade with them and that includes tech. They will consider you anti-social and something to be eliminated if you don't trade. You can just as easily have them on your side if you trade.

Elizibeth is a pain in the neck. Get rid of her if she is your neighbor. Gandi is a bad one too. Both are tight fisted traders and Gandi can become powerfull if left alone too long.

Comment

lol, dam you told me off. But thanks for the help. I'm guessing I should just move my capital i don't want to start over again. I'll see what I can do. Oh, and about the fortification and gunpowder, the fortification was a mistake i accidently hit that button instead of mine. Gunpowder was just researched so I have to start to put the road there. Governers make cities better than I do, i'm not very good at micromangement. I shall still try. Also I traded with ghandi alot with gems and resources. I don't think I can visit other nations since my ships don't reach that far. But I do admit, I suck. At least my expansion was good

Comment

Originally posted by admiralk
        lol, dam you told me off.
        Just trying to cover the bases.

But thanks for the help. I'm guessing I should just move my capital i don't want to start over again.
        Its the only thing that can help your position much. Kind of expensive and time consuming if you don't get a Great Leader. Most of the time I have moved my capital was after I got a GL late in the game. Once or twice I did it early because the starting position was very bad.

If you could move the Forbidden Palace it wouldn't be so bad but you can't.

I'll see what I can do. Oh, and about the fortification and gunpowder, the fortification was a mistake i accidently hit that button instead of mine.
        It happens but you need to either man or take it apart if invaders get near. I would man it in this case as the dismantling takes out the fortresses last. You would have to rebuild the road. Its very usefull though when you get cannons or better artillery. They can fire at units passing them to attack the city.

Gunpowder was just researched so I have to start to put the road there.
        OK.

Governers make cities better than I do, i'm not very good at micromangement. I shall still try.
        The governors are OK most of the time but you have to watch what they are building and in some cases you must move the cities population around. Especially when you reach the population limits of 6 and 12 or when you need shield production in a coastal city. The governor tends to emphasize food even when the city cannot grow untill you finish the aquaduct. It can really hold a city back when is wasting food and could have been producing two to even six more shields by moving the workers from the coast to a mined hill.

Never let the governors choose what units to build. The thing about the governors is that they have a standard list of things to do for any given civ. You may be planning on war when the governor wants to build up the cities culture. Only you can know what your long term strategy is.

Also I traded with ghandi alot with gems and resources. I don't think I can visit other nations since my ships don't reach that far. But I do admit, I suck. At least my expansion was good
        Well what I do with galleys is to explore as much of the coast as I can and then I make a guess as to where there might be more land. Basicly that means I find the most prominent point of land near the middle of the map. I get a galley to the farthest coastal square and end its movement. Next turn it pushes STRAIGHT out to sea. I just keep going the same direction till the thing sinks or finds a coast. The galley isn't doing much anyway at that point. I don't put any units on it as its likely to sink.

Such a connection with another land won't help trade in resources till later but you can become a tech and knowledge broker between the continents.

Its a lot easier to micromanage on a smaller maps. I mostly play on standard maps myself. I don't automate my workers till I have a nearly finished railroad network. Sometimes I will set a couple to SHIFT-J to handle massive jungles. I always keep some workers on manual to do the things that must be done right like balancing out mines and irrigation to maximize production. The AI makes high pop cities with poor production. Good for a high score but lousy for winning the game in the first place.

Comment

The computer players always help each other out. They trade tech and trade maps. So they all stay at the same level. It's one of the worse parts of the game.
          I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathwalker
            The computer players always help each other out.
            They are fully willing to help you as much as they are each other. They aren't helping they are trading which results in help. Make the trade yourself first and they will be happy with you. Most of the time. After all they are supposed to try to win as well.

If you won't trade with the AI for whatever reason it will look like they are conspiring against you even when you are behind. You must make contact and trade to avoid this. That is what the AI does.

Its harder on higher levels though as the AI get things cheaper. They charge what they think its worth to you and it costs you more than it does them because of the discount. Below regent they will appear to be conspiring FOR you if you trade. On Regent its even all around and if it looks as if the AI is conspiring on Regent ts because of something you are doing wrong.

Comment

I like to play on regent cause its even all around. Unfortunatly I'll start over. I'll tell my governers to take care of the citizens and check on them, but not to build on the city. I'll also contact with civs every 20 turns if possible.

Comment

Working...
              X