Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cities on water with new editor

from last night's unscheduled chat

23:15:28 [MikeBreitkreutzFIRAXIS] You can limit terrain types the cities can be built on (or even add mountain cities)
    23:15:56 [RandomPasserby] Does that include water cities?.
    23:17:27 [MikeBreitkreutzFIRAXIS] Random: I'm not sure what water cities would do but you can make water allow cities...

i'll have the full log asap
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Cool. Too bad I was out last night...
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

that will teach you to have a real life! dont do it again!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
        that will teach you to have a real life!
        What, I had a real life. I simply was oput partying, as all other days this week. You don't finish school every day.

Comment

Hmm, I like the sound of that. I won't have to starve the AI out of the desert anymore. I just won't let it build there in the first place. Cool. The water city would be interesting if there were different graphics to go with it, like a dome or something. I doubt that would be possible though.

But then again, how would you get the Settler out there? Unless it can build a city while on a boat.

Comment

So let me get this straight: we'll be able to have water cities, but they'll look as if they're floating since there's no new graphics. So, no futuristic underwater cities then?
            Last edited by zulu9812; June 6, 2002, 19:12.
            Up the Irons!
            Rogue CivIII FAQ!
            Odysseus and the March of Time
            I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Originally posted by zulu9812
              So let me get this straight: we'll be able to have water cities, but they'll lookas if they're floating since there's no new graphics. So, no futuristic underwater cities then?
              Atlantis

Comment

Just a thought - obviously you can't build roads/rr to/from these water cities, so the only means of travel is via airport. Also, they can't be built by settlers, since they can't cross water. Thus, the water cities will only be available in scenarios. Actually, it sounds like this is whole water-city thing is more of a side-effect than a new feature. Which is a shame.
                Up the Irons!
                Rogue CivIII FAQ!
                Odysseus and the March of Time
                I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

couldnt you give settler-abilities to a naval unit?

Comment

It might work to have a settler on a ship and select to settle from there.

Comment

is it possible now to settle cities while in transport?
                      that would have to change then, in order to start cities from ships.
                      <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
                      Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Not that a water city would be any good with the original rules. You´d need a harbor, airport and offshore platform just for basic needs, and still you would get only average production in the city. I think the best use of them would be to have them as border expander cities.

But I really think this is something for scenarios only.

Comment

still you would get only average production in the city
                          nothing stops you from changing the values of the sea terrain types

Comment

Originally posted by Lemmy
                            is it possible now to settle cities while in transport?
                            that would have to change then, in order to start cities from ships.
                            I don't know if it is possible. Might be, maybe not. We'll have to wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane
                              Not that a water city would be any good with the original rules. You´d need a harbor, airport and offshore platform just for basic needs, and still you would get only average production in the city. I think the best use of them would be to have them as border expander cities.

But I really think this is something for scenarios only.
                              Hopefully it will be possible to:

a) edit the improvements so that they are all automaticly given
                              b) change the resources produced by ocean terrain and/or add new oceanic terrain.
                              "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

Working...
                              X