strategic resources in coast,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strategic resources in coast,

Is it possible to edit the bic file to have strategic resources in coast-tiles. And would you be able to get them when they fall within your city-borders ( cultural-border)?

I was thinking of putting some oil in coast-tiles and perhaps a strategic rescource that could only be found in the coast (like gass?).

I also tried to make a sea-engineer ( sea unit with ability to make roads, =pipelines, and colony's,=offshore platforms), but the game seemed to crash. Is there no way to implement this.

I wanted to do this because sea-tiles or so useless now, as are sea-units. Any ideas?

Unless you can think of a way of building a road on an ocean, no it's not possible. That's the only way to connect the resource to your empire. I agree that there should be some way, but there isn't. I've been advocating making colonies more like the supply crawlers in SMAC, which you could also build with an ocean going chassis, but it doesn't look like Firaxis will be implenting this in the game. So I'm afraid you're SOL.

Comment

Excuse me, but I've made whales a strategic resource before and made a building that required whales to be built (and later successfully built those cities). I've even had a building that required whales within the city radius. The thing that I couldn't figure out is how the game recognizes those resources. I had cities that would get the whales right away, and other cities that took forever to get them. It's not perfect, but it does work.

If you were wondering, I had called the basic building a Whaling Warehouse, and the small wonder version a Whaling Platform.

Comment

Interesting Mizaq, but what do you mean that the game couldn't recognize them? I figure that as long as soon as you builkd a harbor, all coast tiles are effectively connected to that city with roads. So if you had a harbor and a whale within your cultural borders, you'd get whales. Is this not what you found?

Comment

Originally posted by Mizaq
          Excuse me, but I've made whales a strategic resource before and made a building that required whales to be built (and later successfully built those cities). I've even had a building that required whales within the city radius. The thing that I couldn't figure out is how the game recognizes those resources. I had cities that would get the whales right away, and other cities that took forever to get them. It's not perfect, but it does work.

If you were wondering, I had called the basic building a Whaling Warehouse, and the small wonder version a Whaling Platform.
          Curious. Once again I'm proven wrong. But how does the game even recognize them? Have you built a sea going version of the Worker and built a road to it? I've thought of doing that, but I haven't got around to trying it yet. And by the sounds, it will only cause my game to crash. Plus I think it would be strange having a road on the ocean. How did you make it work?

Comment

Originally posted by Mizaq

i'm curious as to whether the whales showed up as tradeable resources. It never occurred to me that a harbor might have the effect of hidden roads on all water tiles. As far as the requiring whales within a radius, it doesnt appear to me that those resources need to be worked, but just need to be accessible.

Comment

Working...
            X