MOD: Atahualpa's MOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOD: Atahualpa's MOD

If you plan to download, read the disclaimer first!

Redone the whole thing a bit. New Unit values are documented in an Excel Spreadsheet.

There are still some things to improve, but i think I rather play some games with this version before I decide on any updates. So far the Mod looks to play good.

Last Change to the mod: 2nd June 2002

Disclaimer:
    By downloading the file atagod.zip you have to agree that the author can be in no way held responsible forwhatever things this mod or parts of it may cause to you or parts of you or other persons or parts of other persons or your computer or parts of your computer. "mod" refers to the file atagod.zip and its contents, that is every single file that is stored within this archive and every single byte. Downloading is at one's own risk. Of course the whole thing is set up with good intentions and there shouldnt be any problems. I guess it is not any more harmful than any other mod.
    Disclaimer END

And no...., okay at least I do not think that I suffer from paranoia.

Oh yes and I would like to hear of some feedback.

ata
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Atahualpa; June 2, 2002, 13:45.

So, why isn't this posted in Creation?
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Because, err, well, aehmm

There is a creation forum?

ata

Comment

Hmm, this in large part reflects changes that I've made to my game. Increasing hit points greatly reduces the old tank v. spearmen problem My values are 3/4/6/8 for conscript/regular/veteran/elite. I also gave musketmen +1 (4/5/7/9) and everything after them +2 (5/6/8/10) to show the importance of gunpowder.

As long as you're reducing unit costs, the musketman needs to be reduced more than any others.

And the riflemen thing is wacky. Not sure that was such a good move. Better to increase cavalry attack to 7, and leave riflemen low.

Comment

Speaking of modifications, here is my mod - more historical and playable than the unrealistic crap Firaxis gave us.

The only thing I am considering doing is increasing by about 15% the cost for each tech to slow down the rate of science development. I haven't done it yet, and it might not be necessary if you play at Monarch.
          Attached Files

Comment

sub bombardment?

Milo's mod reflects similar thinking. . the advantage of ranged gunpowder units, and the later armored, rapid fire units over archaic bows and arrows should be reflected in the additional hit point, possibly two for armored units. Even with their increased statistics, the fact that an armored division should be annihilated by a force of spears or even muskets is ridiculous realistically. Gameplay be damned, if you're losing that badly, it may be time to start over.
            additionally, most especially with musketman, defence units should be relatively cheapened; it doesn't take much to convince people to defend their homes in time of war. i made them 40 for example, with the modern defender, mech, raised to 130, to complement the extra HP. Riflemen should be left as defenders. Only very capable commanders against very incompetent ones were able to take force for force offensives with rifleman. (ie Lee vs anyone pre-grant) They're mostly a defensive unit. Consider giving most offensive units extra attack, like cavalry, even more ancient units, instead. Ditto mech infantry. Why would you build them to go on the offence when you have tanks, tanks, and more tanks. They are generally a support weapon, used as quick recon, anti-tank, and holding/clearing held territory in modern tactics. Not the bash through enemy lines and search and destroy of tanks/helos... (why they don't have an attack copter i'll never know) Ditto Aegis, isn't that also a defensive weapon.. shooting down enemy planes, missles, etc.. ... I increased their defense, made them 12/16 with the extra HP, rather than the other way around. They have essentially the same weapons platforms as a destroyer or cruiser. Nothing special except the massive radar and assortment of SAMs

Most of the above changes i have incorporated, things like battleships getting more HP (2), the 2/4/6/8 HP strategy, and of course the lethal bombardment. Although if you look at it logically.. why would an artillery piece stand a chance against a boat at sea.. it can just sail out of range or sight. The invasions of normandy and anzio, the amphibous support offered by counter-battery from off shore ships virtually annihilated any heavy german artillery resistance, so stick to airplanes and of course, other ships to killing ships., with artillery breaking up land units, as it does, and maybe beef up the air units, but don't let em kill ground units.

i would like to know if anyone has any thoughts to giving submarines a sea only bombarbment. i know the nucs have the cruise missiles, but thats hardly the manner of attack for a submarine. In general a battleship was regarded as toast to a submarine assault, that was the reason for destroyer boats to begin with, to launch torpedo assaults on capital ships, and later to defend them against submarine raiders. So if you cannot give a sub a huge attack bonus to kill other boats, why not give it a bombardment so it can do so, even if slowly, but silently.
            Every man should have a college education in order to show him how little the thing is really worth.

Comment

First, the rifleman thing:

I have yet to try out if its a good idea. But I am sick of an epoche were the only real offensive thing is cavalry. I like to do some more thing with infantry.

Second about Artillery killing ships:

A Ship can sail to the coast and bombard ( a frigate for example) and then sail away. And the artillery can do nothing about that???
              Sorry I didnt like that idea. If the frigate came close, the artillery would give em hell.
              He can come close and sail away still, but then he needs lots of movement points.

And the downside of giving your units a lot of hitpoints is that fighting gets quite tedious as you wait hours for your battles to be over.
              About defensive values: I dont like giving more units defensive values, because Civ3 is way too defensive anyway,.... for my taste.

ata
              Last edited by Atahualpa; May 31, 2002, 14:02.

Comment

About submarines: I think the big advantage of moving unseen, makes up for their relatively low attack and defense values. Though if you could see, I upped the values for submarine.
                I have made some changes recently, giving the rifleman 5/6 since actually it was more of a defensive unit. But anyway 5/6 is better than 4/6. Havent uploaded anything though. If anyone is interested: post.

Comment

updated and tweaked a bit. Download and have fun.

Comment

Here is a Savegame from the Year 1400 AD from my current game. It uses the latest rules of my mod.
                    Difficulty Level is Prince.

Unzip it into your Civ3\Saves Folder and Load it. I do not know if you have to have this mod installed or if the mod is included in the savegame (I believe it is included).

Have fun,
                    Ata

edit: the random seed is fixed, so save/reload wont help.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Oops I am sorry, I think I posted a wrong savegame last time. My brother is playing Japanese, I am playing Iroquois.
                      Maybe it is iroquois and I just mixed up the names or well....

Here is another version. 1505AD almost finished the Egyptians (with the newely invented Cavalry it should be no problem). Though beware the Aztecs to the Southwest are extremly advantage. I think they already have Rifleman and stuff. At least by the time I wanted to attack them (some decades into the future, yeah I forgot to save) they had already infantry and me running around with rifleman. And as you may know, with ATT/DEF 8/10 of Infantry the Rifleman with 6/6 stands no chance.
                      So, be good to the Aztecs until you are at adequate Technology Level. Because apart from Technology the Aztec are far inferior. My cities are way more productive than his and my empire is greater (thanks to the eqyptians "lending" me some of their cities).

Primary Task is to finish the egyptians, or let them exist with their tiny cities (your choice) and rebuild the empire so that it is ready for the onslaught on the Aztecs.
                      After that you can mobilize Naval Forces and go for Chinese or other Nations on different Islands. Or of course you try to make friends with the Aztecs (in ancient times they betrayed me though: by signing a military pact against me with the egyptians) and go for the Chinese or others with the Aztecs.

Besides do not forget that Artillery and Cannon and Stuff are way more useful now.

ata
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X