buying techs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying techs?

Hey I'm new here obviously. I played Civ II for about 4 years, and I just started playing Civ III with the latest patch, and I know in II you could buy techs and Wonders, but in this version I can't see any way to do that, I just end up waiting til the turns are up. I noticed someone mentioning it in one of the other posts. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

To buy techs you must first make contact with one of the AI's civilizations
    After you make contack you go to the diplomacy screen F4 or you press (shft + d) you talk to the AI you want to buy the tech from, select Technologies and the tech you need, you ask them "what do you want for ..... " they will tell you what they want.
    You can obviously lower a little bit you offer, just be sure that your Foreign advisor say "I think this deal is acceptable".
    You offer the deal and now you have the tech.

You can not any longer buy wonders, but you can rush them with one great leader, the great leader is a special unit that born from one of your many battles, once you have one of them you can form an army with him, or ruch a city improvement, including a wonder.

Saluti
    "Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else.
    The trick is the doing something else."
    — Leonardo da Vinci
    "If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
    "In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio

Comment

Oh okay thanks! I thought people meant you could buy them like you used to be able to buy wonders. How ling does it take to get a great leader? I have had several elite units that fight and fight but never become leaders, and when I upgraded an elite archer to a longbowman, he became a veteran again.

Comment

They calculated that for non-militaristic civ great leader you have 1 chance on 16.
        For militaristic or non-militaristoc + Heroic Epic you'll have 1 chance on 12.

This means... it is very rare thing.

When you upgrade an elite unit this will become veteran...

Saluti
        "Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else.
        — Leonardo da Vinci
        "If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu

Comment

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Just a precision: you can not buy a tech if you are not able to discover it. So the tech do not appear in the AI list, even if the AI already has it. Example: you can not buy any Middle Age tech if you still are in the Ancient Era.
            Nym
            "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

Originally posted by twin tiger
              Thanks for all your help!
              You are welcome

Saluti
              — Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

just a detail:

an elite unite can only create one!! leader!!!, so after use to protect a safe city, disband or upgrade( after an upgrade it's possible to get an leader again( you will lose an hp after upgrading though!)

have fun
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                X