Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rosacrux
    Kramerman

Cataphracts (Greek for "all sealed" meaned "all armoured") have absolutely nothing to do with Alexander's cavalry.

The cataphracts were introduced into the Seleukid army in the Hellenistic era. They were very heavy armoured cavalry - both the rider and the horse. They were slow and got teared apart many'o'times because of their lack of maneuvering ability and speed.

OTOH, Alexander's cavalry was very light armoured. Their effectiveness was due to superior offensive weapons (a cavalry version of the sarissa long spear),[B]
    I appreciate the correctin Rosacrux.
    I've obviously been misinformed and am glad that this misinformation is not spread to a mod as accurate as this one (so ive heard). Ive yet to install it though, haven't had the time.
    "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
    - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
    Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

Neda:

The ModManager is located at:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...threadid=21683

Follow the instructions given on this site and in the Civ3ModManager.txt file.

I believe you have to put all the files in one sub-directory disregarding the directory structure. I haven't tried it yet.
      Last edited by thamis; June 15, 2002, 07:40.
      My websites:
      - Ancient History Encyclopedia
      - The Ancient Mediterranean Mod
      - What is my search ranking?

Comment

Check for the new update! The full version includes a MOD-launcher that does not require you to back up your files. Unzip it into your CIV3 directory and it should create CIV3\Ancient Mediterranean. There you can launch the MOD, correct starting positions and so on. Your CIV3 files are backed up and restored afterwards.

Warning for Modders: Already existing custom units with the same names I used might be overwritten.
        My websites:

Comment

Thamis!
          Just had time to finally getting around to putting your mod. Great work!! . Havent got real far yet but its already quite a new experience from your typical quick start civ game. Again, great job.
          Do you have any future projects in mind or any that are in the works?
          Please let me know.

Kman
          Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

I've never tried a quick start. What's so special about it?
            My websites:

Comment

Nothing really. I just started using them cause I got tired of alway being the Romans and conquering Marla's map. I guess you can say a special thing they have is their randomosity. I set my civ to being random and enemy civs to being random and I never know who im going to be or who ill be facing, let alone what my world is going to look like. Kind of realistic as a test of leadership, I guess - its not like the ancients got to pick which civilization they got to be born into, nor did they know roughly what their world looked like before they mapped it as I do with earth. And quick starts as you imagine, are new experinces everytime because of this randomosity that i use with them. But if you dont set stuff to random then its really no different than quickly starting on a random map.
              Anyways that was one of the things I like about your scenario is that its a new thing, as far as im only slightly familiar to what the map looks like and I dont know any starting locations. With the new tech tree and units I have to come up with new strategies. It kinda brought me back to the olden days.

Thanks
              Kman

Comment

Hey Thamis,
                would you mind if I use parts of your resource.pcx file and add it to one ive been working on to post. I like many of the icons you have and would like to use them. I feel obligated to post something, anything, of use because I have just taken so much, so ive been putting together a nice general purpose resource card for my own use and everybody elses as well.

Kman

Comment

You can use "my" resources, because they're not mine but Harlan's. If you download Harlan's resources you will have many more.
                  My websites:

Comment

Looks like a great mod! I haven't tried it yet, because I'm concerned about the bugs however. I need to back up my files first.

Thamis- Some questions. What is "Thing Law"?
                    Why don't you replace "nature cults" with "animism"? (It sounds more like the other advances.)
                    Why do War Chariots lead to Monarchy?

Have you checked out Ribbanah's Thread on Tech trees? She's done a lot of work on them and you might find them useful.

Comment

Yeah, i was wondering what thing law was myself. Ok, thanks, Ill check out Harlan's resources and see if i can loot any more icons for mine .

Comment

Need help on Governments?

Hey Thamis
                        Your scenario is wonderful. But I think it is missing a lot. You have changed almost everything about the game except the governments. Well you did but I don’t think you toke it into too much thought. First of all you need to change some things as for the Thing Law Government. The ruler titles aren’t too good. I would not mind helping. I could give you complete information and data on some governments. I think if you add some and change some of those governments the mod will be a lot better. You said it runs through 4000bc to about 400ad. So about 3 more governments can be put in a range like that. I can assist (since I have so much free time) on making some governments but you can make it yourself if you want to. Also the civilopedia needs more info in governments. So when you give the go I can help.

Realn
                        Apart from the known and the unknown, what else is there?

Comment

Thing Law:

The "Thing" is not related to the English synonym for "object" in any way. It is an old Germanic / Nordic word and means "assembly". In history all Germanic tribes (Germans, Danes, Vikings, Icelanders) would assemble once a year (or more often if necessary) at a Thing Place. Those were sites where all weapons were sheathed. Important issues were discussed, but it mainly served as a court.

Both parties would bring their followers, each one would describe the situation and the whole Thing, thus most of the population of the area, would decide on the case.

In Iceland the Allthing, in Norway the Gulathing were the "highest instances". But each community had its own Thing.

Thingvellir of the Allthing in Iceland

Tech tree:
                          Well, of course it's not all realistic. But please tell me why in the original game Map Making requires Pottery and Monarchy requires War Chariots. My reasoning for Monarchy requiring War Chariots was that a Monarchy need a certain power of the Army to keep itself in place. In the times when armies consisted of citizens with clubs, nobody was sure that he would stay king for another day. Backed by an advanced army, kings could protect themselves.

But yea - Monarchy of course could require any other militaristic tech. I just wanted to stick to the original game a little
                          My websites:

Comment

realn:

Yea, if you want to help, do so! Any suggestions and comments are welcome! I'll include everything that's good into the MOD!
                            My websites:

Comment

*Oh ok. I understand. I thought you just “created” Thing Law Government. My mistake.

*I am going to think about Theocracy. Ruled by monks or prophet. I will get info. It could go with ancient med.

*You should take what you just wrote ^ there and put into Thing Law Civilopedia for now. It sounds all right.

Realn
                              Last edited by realn; June 22, 2002, 15:27.
                              Apart from the known and the unknown, what else is there?

Comment

All right, I'll do that.
                                My websites:

Comment

Working...
                                X