Install Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install Issues

This is kind of long, so hang in there with me.

I had CIV III installed within a couple days of release. I've been going along fine for months, until I install v1.21f. Then I get mysterious problems -- basically I double click on the icon, get the splash screen, the CD drive spins, then it just stops. The splash screen is gone and nothing happens. No game. This only happens periodically though -- I usually can reboot and get into the game.

Well it starts to happen more frequently and I can't figure out why. I finally decide to uninstall and reinstall. Bad idea.

Now when I try to reinstall, InstallShield starts up, runs for a few seconds, then I get a message stating "Error installing Ikernel.exe (0x10000)." No matter what I do, I get this message.

I've tried a number of things (including emailing tech support, which has suggested a couple things to no avail). They include:

Editting the registry to eliminate any Civ III references

Deleting the InstallShield directory and all contents

Running dcom98.exe (this is a Windows 98 PC)

Deleting all files in the windows/temp directory

Running InstallShield's Professional Engine Update which professes to update the Ikernel.exe

Updated the drivers on my Yamaha CDRW

Still no luck. So now I'm CIVless.

Supposedly tech support is still looking at my problem, but I'm not very hopeful. Anyone out there have similar experiences or suggestions on how to deal with this (other than angrily breaking my CIVIII CD in two and walking the streets muttering about the banality of life)?

Thanks in advance.

When you uninstall Civ3, try deleting a folder called Installshield Information (or something like that), located in Program Files
    Up the Irons!
    Rogue CivIII FAQ!
    Odysseus and the March of Time
    I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Working...
    X