Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POLL: Do you think the B-52 would be a valuable asset in Civ3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POLL: Do you think the B-52 would be a valuable asset in Civ3?

This ties into the thread I just posted about the B-52 unit graphics.

Everybody interpretation is different, but this would be my idea on the Buff's stats:

Prerequisite: Rocketry
    Shield Cost: 25
    Operational Range: 8
    Bombard Str: 16
    Rate of Fire: 3
    Absolutly!
    58.33%
    I don't know
    16.67%
    Don't need it, don't want it!
    25.00%

The poll is expired.

http://www.myspace.com/2890577

It wouldn't make sense to add the B52 because the whole thing with the B52 is that it has a huge range, but in civ3 the aircraft are limited to a range of 8. You shouldn't be able to launch these from aircraft carriers, and what enemy city are you likely to bomb that is 8 squares away from one of your cities?

Comment

Well, look at the B-2 Stealth Bomber that is in Civ3. That thing is capable of doing intercontinental bombing missions. In Kosovo and in Afghanistan, the B-2 flew non-stop bombing missions based out of Missouri. Of course the Buff can do the same thing, but it isn't designed as well for it.

You're right, you shouldn't launch B-52's off of the carriers in the game. But then again, you shouldn't be able to launch the Stealth Fighter, Stealth Bomber, or the WWII style bombers off of them either. I myself have tweaked my B-2's perform much like the ICBM's: with unlimited global range. To make up for it, I made them pretty costly on the shields to build, so that you (or the computer) can have an entire fleet of Stealths.

Back to the Buffs: Once the expansion pack comes out and you can build airfields, you could then perform bombing missions behind enemy lines from them, giving the Buff a little more of a "realistic" application.
      http://www.myspace.com/2890577

Comment

I would give it unlimitted range.
        "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners." - Edward Abbey
        http://www.anarchyfaq.org

Comment

This ties into the thread I just posted about the B-52 unit graphics.

Everybody interpretation is different, but this would be my idea on the Buff's stats:

Prerequisite: Rocketry
          Shield Cost: 25
          Operational Range: 8
          Bombard Str: 16
          Rate of Fire: 3-GraveEatr
          Hmm. We can make the Stealth Bomber a little more expensive and the B-52 a choice for a civilization that does eather does not have the Tech or just want a cheaper bomber .
          "All your base are belong to us" -Cats | "You don't leave an enemy at your back. Not if you like living." - Mara Jade | "You know the first rule in combat? ...shoot them before they shoot you." - Faye Valentine

Comment

Not a bad idea Civfan, but I think that there are enough aircraft already covered. The modern era flies by as it is, adding another unit would only clutter it up more. Kind of like adding a new wooden ship with Magnetism.

Comment

Trip, you just disagree with everyone don't you?

I think the unit has merit, but for playability sake, I would have to vote to keep it out. It's not the B52's fault, its the way Civ 3 is designed. IMO Civ 3 is a step backwards in the genre. The game is limited in terms of MODing and considering Sid had 6 years to make a sequel, it is very poor.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

If you add another 'step' to the upgrade line then thats just going to make it even more of a pain. Now once Ive built a couple bombers, Ill get the B52 tech and have to upgrade, but once I have some of those Ill get stealth... grumble
                "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                  Trip, you just disagree with everyone don't you?

I think the unit has merit, but for playability sake, I would have to vote to keep it out. It's not the B52's fault, its the way Civ 3 is designed. IMO Civ 3 is a step backwards in the genre. The game is limited in terms of MODing and considering Sid had 6 years to make a sequel, it is very poor.
                  Hey, you're agreeing with me, does that count? ^_^

I just think that you can research plenty of units within the timespan of the game as it is. There are 5 (6) air units, which is quite a lot (even though the Stealth Fighter is fairly useless) as it is. If there were more attributes for units to have, then 5 might not be a lot. But right now, basically all you have is A.D.M and a couple other things to choose from (precision bombing, etc.) that aren't all that differentiating.

Comment

yeah I suppose
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

hi ,

yes , Firaxis please put it in , ....as a second or third UU , ...

"carpet" bombing , it should not hit a lot , except when on roads or so , range at least 20 , .....

have a nice day
                      - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                      - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                      WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Since the Bomber only has a range of 6, and has no upgrade, i use the B52 as an upgrade for Bomber, with these stats:

Cost - 16
                        A/D/M - 0/2/1
                        Op. Range - 8
                        Bomb Str. - 8
                        Bomb. ROF - 4

PreReq. - Fission
                        Resource - Oil

Flags - Lethal Land & Sea Bombardment, Immobile
                        Up the Irons!
                        Rogue CivIII FAQ!
                        Odysseus and the March of Time
                        I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Originally posted by zulu9812
                          Since the Bomber only has a range of 6, and has no upgrade, i use the B52 as an upgrade for Bomber, with these stats:

Cost - 16
                          A/D/M - 0/2/1
                          Op. Range - 8
                          Bomb Str. - 8
                          Bomb. ROF - 4

PreReq. - Fission
                          Resource - Oil

hi ,

okay , but the B-52 should fly further , with this editor at least 8 squares , no upgrade , that would be to easy , it should be a UU , and it should move twice , but only on time for a bombing run , ...
                          needed , OIL , to fly on , RUBBER for the sockets and the small parts , and ALUMINIUM for the airframe , ...

the chance to intercept the B-52 should be lets say 15-20 % , ...

have a nice day
                          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Cost - 16
                            A/D/M - 0/2/1
                            Op. Range - 8
                            Bomb Str. - 8
                            Bomb. ROF - 4

PreReq. - Fission
                            Resource - Oil

-zulu9812
                            Oh yea . Replaces the B-17 bomber in Civ3 after the descovery of fission. Discovery of fussion? I understand that the real B-52 can be used both as a Atomic Bomber or conventinonal Bomber but Civ3 can only have one or the other. Personaly I would go with the conventional bombing. kind of hard to flag an Atomic bomber that would Fly-by drop "The Bomb" on a city with out having the B-52 be a "Use once" unit. Insted I have the prereq. on Rocketry ( Thats when the jet fighter appeares)
                            "All your base are belong to us" -Cats | "You don't leave an enemy at your back. Not if you like living." - Mara Jade | "You know the first rule in combat? ...shoot them before they shoot you." - Faye Valentine

Comment

I simlply used Fission as the prereq. so as to give players enough time to use the original Bomber before upgrading to a B52. So Rocketry would do just as well. I actually use the graphics as a new bomber type, rather than as a dedicated nuclear bomber.
                              Up the Irons!
                              Rogue CivIII FAQ!
                              Odysseus and the March of Time
                              I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Working...
                              X