P266

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P266

I have a P2 266, 160 RAM. Anyone know if that will be enough to run Civ3? I'd love to buy it, but don't want to waste $ if it won't work!
    Last edited by txtim; May 21, 2002, 16:01.

How come you've only got a 266 processor, but 160 MB RAM - that's more than I've got!

Anyway, the minimum specs are -

300 MHz Pentium II (500 MHZ reccomended)
    32 MB RAM (64 MB reccomended)
    DirectX 8.0a compatible with 1024x768 screen res.
    DirectX 8.0a compatible sound card
    DirectX 8.0a itself
    Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP (presumabely Windows NT works as well)
    Up the Irons!
    Rogue CivIII FAQ!
    Odysseus and the March of Time
    I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Before my upgrade, it has worked on my computer (Celeron 300A, 192 Mo RAM, Win 98); but with huge maps I waited about 20 minutes between each turn.
      Nym
      "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

It would probably work, but too slowly to be any fun. Save your money and upgrade your PC first. By the time thats done the CIV3 price will be down anyway.
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I have a pII 266 with 224MB of Ram - The game works fine if you stick to the 4 smaller map sizes and don't play with more than 8 civs. Depending on the options you choose, things can get get pretty slow towards the endgame.

For my PC, I can play up to 6 players on a standard map with no slowdown at all. I can play the largest map size with 1 or 2 civs, but as I get into the Modern Era, I am looking at about 3 minutes between turns.

So yeah, you can play it as long as you stick to smaller, less populated worlds - but upgrade your PC ASAP so you can really enjoy it - you can get a killer PC (Athlon XP 1800 with 512 MB PC2400 DDR RAM) on the net for like $600 bucks now. I ordered mine yesterday.
          Get 84 Resources, 96 Resources, or the NEW 153 Resources! Get Rockier Bonus Grassland versions1.0 or 2.0! Get My Mix of Snoopy and Womocks early terrain! Get Varied Goody Huts!
          Upcoming Mods - Optimator (with over 1000 new units!!!) & Godzilla, Revenge of the Kaiju!
          I am in dire need of new dino and Kaiju units!

Comment

Working...
          X