Naval Units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naval Units

I'm still new to this game, but have played CTP in the past. A strategy I like is to send out a party of units, and explore other continents or islands, in hopes of gainng riches and possibly a good place to settle some cities. In this game I'm still trying to get the hang of the fact that my galleys tend to sink in deeper waters, all the time.

any pointers on how to successfully explore other continents in the early stages of the game...

I have built harbors and veteran galleys.

Thanks for any suggestions you put in.
    Note: the Law Offices of jdjdjd are temporarily closed.
    "Next time I say something like 'lets go to Bolivia', lets go to Bolivia"

Well, well you only have Galleys in the early game, and they can't venture past your coastline - so exploring's out until you discover Magnetism in the late Middle Age.
    Up the Irons!
    Rogue CivIII FAQ!
    Odysseus and the March of Time
    I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

The best way to improve you chances at sea is with the Great Lighthouse. However it won't count towards trade routes so if you do manage to plant a colony that has ocean or even sea intervening it will not be connected to your empire till later in the game.

The best uses for galleys early is to move faster along the coast then land units can. To map and explore the coasts by going around the civs that are blocking you on land. Eventually its good to send an EMPTY ship straight out to sea to try and find other lands. If you can be the first you can make a killing trading tech and contact even before you can trade resources.

What you want to do in your post pretty much has to wait till the late Middle ages. Sometimes once you have found other land you may want to risk sending a settler and a military unit but that is just to block out the territory as it the cities may be hoplessly corrupt untill they can join back to the empire with harbors and ocean travel. Consider this option as a special event and not something to do in every game.

Comment

Three type of ocean squares - Coastal, Seas, Ocean.
        With the Great Lighthouse Wonder, one can move a galley into Coastal (Coastline) and Seas (Whales usually there - a little darker) , but Ocean, one has to wait until something else like in the 2nd Era - Navigation tech probably).

The Great Lighthouse helps - but usually galley can only go so far, perhaps - depends on how the lands connect to one another and if the galley can get over the gap with its movement points.

Try using the Civilopedia - small icon on left top of main screen to look up things in the game -- .

There are other things to learn about techs and things for this game.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's help. I think I get it now...also a good download at civ3.com, which has charts on everythng.
          Note: the Law Offices of jdjdjd are temporarily closed.
          "Next time I say something like 'lets go to Bolivia', lets go to Bolivia"

Comment

Working...
          X