Adding New Unit Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding New Unit Graphics

I am new to editing the game and had a few questions about making unit graphic additions.

Has anyone done a tutorial on how to add a new unit with all new graphics? Whenever I try to make an addition to the units_32 file I always have problems. For some reason whenever I make an addition and then go into the Civ3 Editor to edit the units the icons are always messed up. Is this going to mean that the units will be messed up in the game? How can I make an addition to the units_32 file without having problems?

Thanks
    For your photo needs:
    http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

You need to use a program that saves 8-bit PCX-files. You problem sounds as if you are using an unsupported format.
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Programs

I have Photoshop 6.0, Jasc Paintshop Pro 7, and Animation Shop 3. Which one of these programs is best to use? To edit the file do I only need to add a new unit graphic to a new box at the end oif the file?
      For your photo needs:

Sell your photos

Comment

I use PSP myself. Just make sure you don't increase the number of colors.

Comment

Civ3 CopyTool

Whenever I try to use the Civ3 copy tool and hit copy the program tells me that it needs to close. Could this be because I am using Windows XP? I did get it to work once but then when I went to edit the unit everything got all messed up. Whenever I am in the copytool window and load a bic file the copy unit drop down box doesn't show any units either.

Is there anyway to create a new unit without using the copytool?
          For your photo needs:

Sell your photos

Comment

There's a Hacked CivEdit in the Files forum, with Add and Delete buttons, but you have to write the .ini file yourself
            Up the Irons!
            Rogue CivIII FAQ!
            Odysseus and the March of Time
            I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Re: Adding New Unit Graphics

Originally posted by Sheik
              I am new to editing the game and had a few questions about making unit graphic additions.

Has anyone done a tutorial on how to add a new unit with all new graphics? Whenever I try to make an addition to the units_32 file I always have problems. For some reason whenever I make an addition and then go into the Civ3 Editor to edit the units the icons are always messed up. Is this going to mean that the units will be messed up in the game? How can I make an addition to the units_32 file without having problems?

Thanks
              Don't worry about the units_32.pcx screwing up your game, that file is mainly a cosmetic thing. It will add graphics to your Civilopedia and your build list, nothing more. I've added several units and never bothered updating that file, without any problems to the actual units in the game itself.

Comment

Re: Programs

I have Photoshop 6.0, Jasc Paintshop Pro 7, and Animation Shop 3. Which one of these programs is best to use? To edit the file do I only need to add a new unit graphic to a new box at the end oif the file?
                If you use Photoshop, go to Image>Mode, and be sure it's set at Indexed Color. BTW, how exactly are they screwed up? You are aware that the last 8 icons need to be pushed down when adding new units? These are the era specific icons, and they need to remain at the end of the file. Or so I've been told. Like I said, I've never bothered with that file myself, and the game works just fine.

Comment

Re: Civ3 CopyTool

Whenever I try to use the Civ3 copy tool and hit copy the program tells me that it needs to close. Could this be because I am using Windows XP? I did get it to work once but then when I went to edit the unit everything got all messed up. Whenever I am in the copytool window and load a bic file the copy unit drop down box doesn't show any units either.

When you say Copytool, it tells me that you are using an old version. I had similar problems with an earlier version. It's now called MultiTool. If you don't have that, try downloading a newer version and see if that helps.
                  Last edited by Willem; May 17, 2002, 23:38.

Comment

Originally posted by zulu9812
                    There's a Hacked CivEdit in the Files forum, with Add and Delete buttons, but you have to write the .ini file yourself

What should my .ini file say?
                    For your photo needs:

Sell your photos

Comment

Re: Civ3 CopyTool

Are you using a version pre 1.21f/old BICs? (There is one value which defaults to zero, but should default to -1 that might make those lists empty. I still have somethings to do before the next version is ready)

Comment

What should my .ini file say?
                        Take a look at some of the existing ones, and you'll get a better idea of what that file does.

Comment

Every unit folder has a .ini file
                          Up the Irons!
                          Rogue CivIII FAQ!
                          Odysseus and the March of Time
                          I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Yeah right, I guess it would help to mention that.

Comment

CivEdit

How do I get the CivEdit to have the add and delete buttons?
                              For your photo needs:

Sell your photos

Comment

Working...
                              X