Fonts Messed Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fonts Messed Up

Well I can still read the text in the game but it is mucked up and not being rendered properly for some reason. Its hard to describe, it looks kinda chewed up and is pretty annoying. Infogrames site said there was a problem with peole having more than 255 fonts in their fonts folder but thats not an issue for me. Also there was a LSANS truetype font in the Civ3 folder which I threw in the fonts folder but that also didn't help. Anyone know a fix?

Specs:

WinXP Pro
    Athlon 1.33 Abit KT7A
    GeForce 2 Ti with 28.32 drivers
    256 MB SD133
    SB Live Value

Thanks for any help
    -Dylan

It is recommended that you have "Smooth edges of screen fonts" option checked in Control Panel > Display >Effects.

Also, try adding these lines to your Civilization3.ini file:

Keepres=1
    Video Mode=1024
    Refresh=60
    Up the Irons!
    Rogue CivIII FAQ!
    Odysseus and the March of Time
    I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Hey thanks for the suggestion, I tried it but it didn't make a difference. Oh well its not that big a deal I guess, just annoying.
      Cleartype actually seems to improve the text in some areas but makes it a lot worse in others. If this game uses OpenGL I wonder why OS GUI font smoothing would have an impact.

-Dylan

Comment

I've had the same problem before (after I'd modded it quite a bit) - I reinstalled the game and it worked fine after that
        Up the Irons!
        Rogue CivIII FAQ!
        Odysseus and the March of Time
        I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Do a search for username in the help forum. I posted a fix which i think will help your situation. It was a while back, guessing Nov or Dec.

Comment

Try changing the font size in the Civ3.Ini file.
            I changed it to 14, I think that it works. (I may try 12 size font also).
            I would put the font back in the Civ folder, I think its for the game.

Otherwise, never had a problem with that.

Comment

Re: Fonts Messed Up

There was a problem with a specific Lucidasans font for Civ III in Windows XP. I hadn't seen anyone complain about it in a while now.

If you haven't patched the game that may be the cause.

If you have Staroffice installed that is the cause of the Lucidasans problem. Aparently something is wrong with the Staroffice version of one of the fonts.

These are the fonts in question

LucidaSansDemiBold
              LucidaSansDemiOblique
              LucidaSansOblique
              LucidaSansRegular

I am pretty sure that only the last one needs to be removed. If you need that font you might want to move LucidaSansRegular to another folder temporarily to see it solves the problem.

Comment

Actually it has nothing what so ever to do with StarOffice. There are a number of programs that instill various fonts.

For me it turned out to be some A+ testing software.

Oh, and that stuff on Firaxis or Infogrames site about the 255 fonts or whatever, is a big ol load of $hit.

Here's the link to my original posting.

Comment

I thad loaded some testing software (Network+) onto my pc and then noticed the font problems. I unloaded the testing software and fonts are back to normal.

Comment

Working...
                  X