Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GRAPHIC: Harlan's Resources (all old redone, 28 new)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRAPHIC: Harlan's Resources (all old redone, 28 new)

I didn't like the small size of resource images in Civ3. So I've made them all larger, and added quite a few new ones for mods. All the resources are larger, to make them easier to see.

Use this if you're looking to add resources to your game, or if you just want the current ones to look better.

There are 36 new resources, namely:

Timber
    Copper
    Seal
    Walrus
    Crab
    Salt
    Wool
    Fruit
    Oasis
    Clay
    Marble
    Sugar
    Tobacco
    Coffee
    Silver
    Gems (original Gems graphic file is actually called Diamonds and would serve better as that)
    Tin
    Rice
    Opium
    Offshore Oil
    Cotton
    Glass
    Amber
    Lead
    Papyrus
    Linen / Flax
    Tea
    Jade
    Corn
    Potato
    Hemp
    Olive Oil
    Pearl
    Porcelain

Let me know if there are any problems - this hasn't been thoroughly playtested. Enjoy.

Here are what the new resources look like:

Compared to the version that came with the game:

Every new resource also comes with graphic files necessary to update the civilopedia, such as this one:

Finally, here is the zip file to download:

Harlan's Resource Images Version 2.0
    Last edited by Harlan; June 1, 2002, 19:17.

Damn! Just when I thought I was done with the resources for my mod, you gotta add a bunch of new cool ones!
    Get 84 Resources, 96 Resources, or the NEW 153 Resources! Get Rockier Bonus Grassland versions1.0 or 2.0! Get My Mix of Snoopy and Womocks early terrain! Get Varied Goody Huts!
    Upcoming Mods - Optimator (with over 1000 new units!!!) & Godzilla, Revenge of the Kaiju!
    I am in dire need of new dino and Kaiju units!

Comment

Yeah, I thought exactly the same Great Work!

Comment

I like som of the new ones but I think they may look a bit big in the game. I've always liked the size of the current ones but great work with the graphics.
        Destruction is a lot easier than construction. The guy who operates a wrecking ball has a easier time than the architect who has to rebuild the house from the pieces.--- Immortal Wombat.

Comment

Well, if yuo realy want to I think that shrinking graphics is mush easier then making them larger.
          Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Being a perfectionist and based on complaints in the other forums, I decided after all to do what I could about the graphics not looking sufficiently "isometric". They should now be more 3D, and fit in the game better.

I've added two new ones (Corn and Potatoes) and completely overhauled some others to make them more 3D, or cos I wasn't happy with them (Tea and Rice). I'm still working on the shadows, but here's what I have so far:

(see below for latest version)

By the way Dark Knight, the main point of these was that I thought the standard ones were too small. I have trouble finding them sometimes, esp. something like Coal. But to each his or her own.
            Last edited by Harlan; May 31, 2002, 06:33.

Comment

Important resource missing?

ONe resource that always is over looked (maybe because of the legal aspects not sure) that is Hemp. It has been used for about 4000 years from making paper to rope to making food and clothes. Someone made a decent one a while back for Hemp. Had a hemp leaf thought with your talent maybe you could improve on it. If you have Opium you should have hemp. Opium is a terrible drug comparing wise. Hemp can help produce over 50,000 products in the real world.
              Just a thought and desire! Great job anyways!
              Thanks ~ Desert Fox (Real Nickname)
              Fleet Admiral - NeoTech Games Network - Game News & Game Modding Community

Comment

DD,
                I know George Washington planted hemp and all that, but I don't think its the end all be all people sometimes make it out to be these days. Its use had already dwindled down considerably before people found out you could smoke it and it became illegal. (As an aside, I'd still like to see at least industrial hemp legalized though).

But, that said, if you have a good isometric (3D view) picture at least 150 by 150 pixels, and post it here, I'll add it in. You need to act fast though - I'm finishing up this mod very soon (just need to do the shadows).

Comment

Not quite right!

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Harlan
                  DD,
                  "Its use had already dwindled down considerably before people found out you could smoke it and it became illegal. (As an aside, I'd still like to see at least industrial hemp legalized though).)

Big problem with a statement like this. Hemp cannot be smoked at all. I am an expert on the subject true hemp especially american hemp contains less than .50-1.0% THC. You need at least 3-4% THC in order to get that feeling that some need or want. Otherwise you are greeted with a god aweful headache. If Industrial Hemp was made legal it would dominate the market place. This is why and only why it is still illegal today. The goverment has no clue how to control it and capitalize on it.
                  If it were included in Civ3 it would make since it would dominate the market place too. (Ala The Balancer Mod) Because It can be used for food, clothes, paper (that last 2500 years opposed to 250 made from trees) rope, paint products, a substance for contruction that is strong as steel but workable as wood, a totally non-polluting fuel made from the seeds, nutritional product that gives us a nutrient our body craves, I could go on and on here, over 50,000 different uses. To go further, the other side is the medical uses of the other type besides hemp. We won't go there.
                  My whole point is that it is a bigger thing then everyone knows or realizes because that is how the goverment wants you to think. Before making statements on a subject please do some research. Read Emperor Wears No Clothes by Jack Herer that one book will open your eyes. Everything in book can be found as a fact if you look as he did. Ok babbled enough on subject I think my point is well made. If you have no interest after my post in doing the resource I give up. Kael I think is his handle did the resources already posted on Apolyton. I just would have liked a more detailed picture. Thanks.

Comment

DD,
                    I know all about industrial hemp and the difference between smokeable and non-smokeable, THC content, etc... The fact is, they threw the baby out with the bathwater and made all kinds of hemp illegal, not just smokeable pot. I think that was silly. I also think the claims for hemp tend to be overstated, although it is a great resource with lots of different uses.

But I don't want to argue with you about that. As I said before, give me the right kind of picture quickly, and I'll add it in.

Comment

I'm just about finished with the second version of this mod. A few more resources got in (and some people will be happy to see hemp in there! .

Here's a list of all the ones that didn't come with the game, minus the last two rows, which are early versions of some of these.

Timber
                      Copper
                      Seal
                      Walrus
                      Crab
                      Salt
                      Wool
                      Fruit
                      Oasis
                      Clay
                      Marble
                      Sugar
                      Tobacco
                      Coffee
                      Silver
                      Gems
                      Tin
                      Rice
                      Opium
                      Offshore Oil
                      Cotton
                      Glass
                      Amber
                      Lead
                      Papyrus
                      Linen / Flax
                      Tea
                      Jade
                      Corn
                      Potato
                      Hemp
                      Olive Oil
                      Pearl
                      Porcelain

Comment

Good Job!

Hey Harlan you really have out done yourself. Excellent job on the new resources I like almost all of them myself. I will be using your new resources in an upcoming mod. Best Hemp icon I have seen yet. Thanks!

Comment

Here is the actual zip file of version 2 of this mod. I'll also replace the link at the start of this thread. Enjoy!

Harlan's Resource Images Version 2.0

Comment

I may have to throw my current game so I can make a new one with these!

Comment

Harlan,
                              Your resources are really good! I like how you put in civilopedia graphics too. It makes it complete. You think you could make a smaller version, if it isn’t too hard. Personally, I like the tinier ones. They fit the terrain more. Anyways, thanks for the awesome graphics!
                              Apart from the known and the unknown, what else is there?

Comment

Working...
                              X