Using the editor to enable "killer" artillery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using the editor to enable "killer" artillery

Quick question: I've loaded the new patch. I've used the editor to modify all artillery units so they can now destroy (as opposed to only damage) other enemy units. However, during the game, the editor mod doesn't work - the artillery still won't destroy an enemy unit. I suspect that I did something wrong with the editor. Do I need to save the revised bic file under a new/different name?

Any help would be much appreciated.

You should and maybe even did save it as a scenario. In which case you have to start from the scenario option.

Comment

Originally posted by Ethelred
      You should and maybe even did save it as a scenario. In which case you have to start from the scenario option.
      Thanks. Is there any way to make the change so all new games will follow the revised rule - even without starting using the scenario option?

Comment

You could in the original version. I don't know about now. I don't mod the game but I have played with the editor just to see how things work.

Its really not a good idea to mod the original .bic. It may mess up tournament games for instance.

Comment

Did you actually start a new game. Old games still use the original rules.
          Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
          Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Originally posted by Grrr
            Did you actually start a new game. Old games still use the original rules.
            Yes. I modified the original bic file, then started a new game.

Comment

Originally posted by RBergs

Thanks. Is there any way to make the change so all new games will follow the revised rule - even without starting using the scenario option?
              Yes, you can save the scenario over your civ3mod.bic and your changes will become the "default" rules, just make sure you back up the original civ3mod.bic in case you want to get the normal rules back.
              The Civ3 world is one where stealth bombers are unable to sink galleons, Man-O-Wars are a powerful counter to battleships, and knights always come equipped with the AT-S2 Anti-Tank Sword.

The Simwiz2 Combat Mod Version 2.0 is available for download! See the changes here. You can download it from the CivFanatics Thread or the Apolyton Thread.

Comment

Originally posted by simwiz2

Yes, you can save the scenario over your civ3mod.bic and your changes will become the "default" rules, just make sure you back up the original civ3mod.bic in case you want to get the normal rules back.
                This is why I'm confused. I made the change to the original bic file and saved it as civ3mod.bic, Yet, the new rule doesn't effect any new games. However, when I check the revised bic file the the mods I made are still there!

Comment

Enabling "killer bombardment" doesn't mean you kill them all the time. I enabled it for my bombers, and very seldom do they actually kill a unit. You still have to slowly knock down their hitpoints, then if they only have one hit point left, theres a chance that the bombardment will kill them. So, keep playing, you should see it sooner or later.

Comment

Originally posted by Jezz
                    Enabling "killer bombardment" doesn't mean you kill them all the time. I enabled it for my bombers, and very seldom do they actually kill a unit. You still have to slowly knock down their hitpoints, then if they only have one hit point left, theres a chance that the bombardment will kill them. So, keep playing, you should see it sooner or later.
                    That's what I thought too. So I attacked a frigate with 25 artillery. After about 6 fired, the frigate was down to its last hit point. The remaining 19 fired with no effect. Must have been some bad shells.

Tried this several times and the same result. I suspect that the game is not using the bic. file I modified.

Comment

Just in case...
                      Don't forgot that there is two kind of lethal bombardment : sea and land.
                      Science without conscience is the doom of the soul.

Comment

I know for a fact that lethal land bombardment works--I've used it and tested it in a mod I've been working on. How quickly a unit is killed depends upon the artillery's Rate of Fire. I haven't tested lethal sea bombardment yet, but it should work just as well.
                        No comment.

Comment

Working...
                        X