very simple question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very simple question

this is a simple question regarding adding new units. can you add units (like the t34 tank) to the original game, or you have to make your own one using the editor. i'd appreciate if someone took me through the motions. cheers - mike

Right, to add new units you need the Hacked Editor - get it from Apolyton - or Gramphos' Multi Tool - again, from Apolyton. The Copy Tool will ask you which unit you want to copy - pick the one closest to what you want, e.g. copy tank for T34. The Copy Tool will then create a new folder called T34 in Art\Units, complete with a T34.ini file. The .ini file tells civ3 what sounds and animations to use for the T34. At the moment, it'll be the same as the Tank you've just copied. If you have the flcs for the T34, simply move them into the T34 folder. Then go into civedit > edi rules > units and scroll down to the bootm and you should have a brand new T34 unit. Now edit it's stats and abilities to what you want it to do.

However, most user-created units will come complete with it's own folder, flcs and ini - so you don't need the Copy Tool. Simply extract the T34 folder from the zip to Art\Units. Go into the Hacked Editor and go to Edit Rules > Units. Click the Add button, type in T34 and click ok. Again, edit the stats etc. to what you want.

The important thing to remember is that the folder name and the unit name in the editor should match, or it won't work.

Now, each unit should have it's own icon that can be seen in the build queue. This icon can be changed in the editor. Thus list is taken from a file called unit_32.pcx situated in Art\Units. Unless you want have duolicate icons (which causes problems anyway) you'll need to add the new icon to this units_32.pcx using a graphics program like Photoshop or Photodraw. You should be able to just drag the icon into place.

However, not all fan-created unts come with their own seperate icon; some don't have it all and others just include the standard icon sheet plus that unit, which can be a problem if you want to add several. Unfortunately, I don't know how to create new icons.
    Up the Irons!
    Rogue CivIII FAQ!
    Odysseus and the March of Time
    I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Thanks for your time,I'm realy thankfull !!!!!!!!!!!!
      Now can you tell me how to install other peoples mod's

P.S. If you tell me this one I promise I won;t bother you again (if I am )

Comment

Hey it's me again!

I've downloaded the hacked editor as you said but I can't quite get what's with the copy tool.What I ment is:

What and where is "copy tool" and is it somewhere in the editor (because I can't find it)

In forward: THANK YOU

Comment

Sorry, the Copy Tool comes as part of Gramphos' Multi-Tool, found in the Files forum
          Up the Irons!
          Rogue CivIII FAQ!
          I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Originally posted by neda
            Thanks for your time,I'm realy thankfull !!!!!!!!!!!!
            Now can you tell me how to install other peoples mod's

P.S. If you tell me this one I promise I won;t bother you again (if I am )
            Depends. If it's unit graphics, just put the folder in Art\Units and use the hacked editor to add the unit. If it's other graphics, such as terrain, the zip'll usually have a readme, or it's detailed on teh thread. For example, SnOOpy's terrain graphics go into Art\Terrain and will overwrite existing files. Most terrain graphics will overwrite existing files. There's a new Civ3 Mod Manager out which backs up your Ary and GText directories, in case you want to go back to theold graphics

The other type of mod is usually new rules, which come as a bic (the format that CivEdit uses). You can either use these as scenarios (place in Civilization 3\Scenarios) or rename to civmod.bic, replacing your default rules. If you do this, you'll want to back up your civmod.bic..
            Up the Irons!
            Rogue CivIII FAQ!

Comment

Sorry Zulu,but I still don't get how to install units through the hacked editor.

Comment

Right, the hacked editor replaces CivEdit. You need to go to the Edit Rules part of it and go to the Units tab. Next to the unit name should be 3 buttons: Rename, Delete and Add. Click Add and a box will pop up asking you to type in the new unit's name. When you do this, you will have a 'blank' unit with zero stats and the settler icon.

In order to actually install the unit the correct folder needs to be in Art\Units. For example, I wanted to add a unit called Imperial Marine. Someone else had created this unit. I created a new folder in Art\Units called Imperial Marine and extracted all the flcs and the ini to this folder. So, the path name for the .ini file now read

C:\Program Files\Infogrames Interactive\Art\Units\Imperial Marine\Imperial Marine.ini

If you could be a bit more specific I could maybe help more.
                Up the Irons!
                Rogue CivIII FAQ!

Comment

I still have one more problem!!!!!!

Both my hacked and regular editors are crap!
                  I tried as you said but all the comands are gray (not in use)
                  But I discoverd a Civ3mod.It is all the same (as I can tell) but all the comands are availble.
                  Now about your advise,am I gona permenently change some unit when I add a new one or if not,how do I get the new one in the game?

P.S. Sorry because I didn't call all this time,I've ran out of time for the internet and I couldn't buy more time because the provider was in a mess because of some virus.

P.S. II If you're interested we can talk whitout apolyton,just tell me where on what site's chat rooms do you usually hang out,if not give me your ICQ.See ya

Comment

Right - the rules in civmod.bic are the default rules. Editing these will effect every game that uses these default rules (i.e. all of them, bar scenarios). If you want to create a scenario with new rules and random map, do this:

1. Open the hacked CivEdit

2. Go to the Scenarios menu (at the top, between Rules and Help)

3. Scroll down and click on Custom Rules

4. Go to Rules > Edit Rules (or press Ctrl+R)

5. Go to the Units tab

6. Click the Add button and type in the new units name in the pop-up, being sure that it matches the folder name for the unit.

and the rest you know

If you want to talk some more, I'e added my ICQ# to my profiles, so you can use the links on the left hand side.

P.S. to play with these new rules, save the file in Civilization III\Scenarios, and when at the main Civ3 menu, double click on Load Scenario.
                    Up the Irons!
                    Rogue CivIII FAQ!

Comment

Working...
                    X