Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Bono?

Hey,

Do any of you guys have time to investigate whether or not one can visually upgrade units like the worker does? Ya know, so outdated units look different in more advanced eras? If its possible, would anyone want to create graphics for them? Just an idea.

JMS
    Visit My Crappy Site!!!!
    http://john.jfreaks.com
    -The Artist Within-

Yeah I'm pro Bono. In fact, U2 is my favorite band
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Re: Pro Bono?

Originally posted by JMarks
      Hey,

Do any of you guys have time to investigate whether or not one can visually upgrade units like the worker does? Ya know, so outdated units look different in more advanced eras? If its possible, would anyone want to create graphics for them? Just an idea.

JMS
      Gramphos suggested adding period folders for a unit, with unique graphics for each era, the same way that Settlers etc. now have. I'm not sure if the game would recognize them, the ability to change graphics might be hard coded for particular units. Take a look at Art/Units, and in particular Settlers, Workers, and Armies and see how Firaxis has done it. It might be as simple as adding a special folder for the unit you have in mind.

It would be interesting to see if you could make it work, it might put an end to the whole Spearman vs Tank debate. A lot of players would probably accept losing once in awhile, if the graphics represented something other than a hopelessly obsolete unit.

Comment

It works. The game looks for Unit Period before Unit.
        Seemingly Benign
        Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Yes I've read that someone has tried it and it works. I'll have to keep that in mind when I get back to working on my mod again. I don't really have a problem losing a battle to an inferior unit, but I'd feel better if it at least looked like something more up to date.

Comment

It works. However I don't know if the units_32.pcx has to be updated to include updated icons as well.
            Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I've never really bothered with the units_32.pcx file anyway. It's mainly just a cosmetic thing, it never really affected the game play at all. But I suppose if I ever get around to posting my mod, I'll have to make some changes.

Comment

Working...
              X