WORLD MAP and starting points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WORLD MAP and starting points

is there any way to define the starting point of each player? I mean, my favourite game in civ 2 was the world map with all nations starting from their real places in the map.
    It seems impossible to do so in civ3...I also tried to use the editor but the starting points are unnumbered and they cannot be linked to any specific civilization...
    what can i do?

I thought that with the latest patch, since you can specify the "active civilization" while placing things, that you could place down fixed starting locations, but I tried and it still is apparently not possible.

Comment

So you can't even build a scenario with fixed starting locations for certain civilizations?

THIS IS A BIG FLAW!!!

Comment

fixed starting positions....

This really sucks. My favourite part of Civ2 was playing with civilizations in fixed starting positions on the world map. Ive been looking forward to all the new patch releases for some develpoment, but it still seems to be lacking this option. Major bummer.

Comment

so there's no way to do it. this sucks. maybe the system based on different 'civilization colors' wasn't the best...but that was my favourite civ game.

Comment

starting Points

I just got off the phone with the Civ3 support techs, and according to what they said, there is a way to pick your starting points. This was also stated in their release of the latest patch, but since they consider it an outside add on (They didn't make the map editor) they dont have support for it. I was informed then that someone over here would know how to do this.

Comment

Apolyton Knows!

I am Sure there is someone here who can help...

Not me though..

Comment

2 things we've wanted ever since civ3 came out and have yet to receive:

1. Mini-map! How many times do we have to ask?

2. The ability to pick civ starting points. I can't see anything in the readme about this (although I might have missed it, it's a big readme).

This is despite 3(!) patches!
                Last edited by zulu9812; April 28, 2002, 05:10.
                Up the Irons!
                Rogue CivIII FAQ!
                Odysseus and the March of Time
                I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

I think this is due to the new concept...civs with closer cultures start close... but well... I need to pick the starting point, at least in my scenarios!!!

Comment

You can...at least I think...

There is a scenario and mod in the files section that did this. I'm not sure if it works with the new patch. Let me explain and you'll see why.

Here's how it worked: you'd start an earth map game; save it as fix.sav; then you would use this handy dandy file on the savegame; and VOILA! You are in your civ's starting location as is everyone else!!!

I don't recommend having too many European civs b/c it gets REALLY crowded (unless you aren't playing a European civ ) BUT, here's the catch... it might not work anymore since they changed the save files in the latest patch...(it was made for 1.17)

Check the files forum and see if it's there. I'm sorry I didn't direct you to the post here...I am on my way to bed and just checking the boards before I go and so I'm not in the best of thinking shape

Talk to you all soon!
                    "The Chuck Norris military unit was not used in the game Civilization 4, because a single Chuck Norris could defeat the entire combined nations of the world in one turn."

Feyd

Comment

I've got the new patch.. it's supposed to have something called culture related starting points of something (don't recall) anyways, it doesn't work.. I've tried to put it on, but it doesn't work (or the firaxis staff has odd sense of where china is.. as I don't recall it being near to south america or africa...)...

Comment

Culturally linked start locations was the default option in v1.07, and it basically means that when you start a game you'll start next to the civs in your culture group (asian, european, middle eastern, etc.).

Comment

Working...
                        X