Warlord to Regent - I'm an idiot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warlord to Regent - I'm an idiot

I’m having some problems moving from the Warlord to Regent difficulty level. This is particularly frustrating since none of the previous Civ or Alpha Centauri games were difficult for me to advance from one level to another.

At this point Warlord is terribly easy (and boring) for me now and I’ve usually got the game won (or it is a forgone conclusion) long before the modern age. In Regent I seem to hit a wall and even when I get a good game going, I fall behind in technology.

Here are some attributes about my game play style that might provoke some good tips:

I like to play on the large maps (I’d play Huge but the time between turns can take too long).

I tend to keep up in technology until around the early to middle industrial age then begin to fall behind, even to smaller nations.

I find if I don’t get the Great Library I can’t keep up in technology even from the start.

Also if I don’t get Adam Smith’s trading company I’m way behind shortly after as well.

Even with somewhat smaller numbers I’m able to beat the computer (most of the time) in a war, so military strategy doesn’t seem to be a problem.

I’ve avoided using the Governors. In Alpha Centauri I found them to be insane and haven’t yet tried them in Civ 3.

Aside from building roads from city to city I tend to automate (full automation) my workers, although I’m considering stopping that since I’m disturbed by their tendency to build irrigation a bit too much for my taste.

If anyone has any suggestions, or can just sympathize it would make me feel better.
    Thanks.

I've had the same problems. Trade is very important IMO. The exchange/selling of technologies also plays a role but mostly, i find that in order to win i have to wage war much more often.
    You HAVE to forge alliances, even if only temporary, trying to keep your current and potential adversaries off balance as much as possible.
    What?

Comment

That seems to be the best strategy from what everyone says, fight wars a LOT.
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Richelieu
        Trade is very important IMO. The exchange/selling of technologies also plays a role [...]
        Yes indeed, but it depends on the way you play.
        For example I am a builder and avoid war as much as I can. In my current game I was almost always behind in tech race with no more than 50% to research. Then I discovered Education (only 3 other civs had it already and not the 12 others) and sold it immediately, privileging payment per turn. So I got 66 gold per turn and I am now able to dedicate 90% of my incomes to resarch
        Nym
        "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

Re: Warlord to Regent - I'm an idiot

Originally posted by duxup

In Regent I seem to hit a wall and even when I get a good game going, I fall behind in technology.
          Dont worry about falling behind in tech (unless you fall way behind). Research for techs is only a part of the game. You can usually get access to new techs by trading with the AI. In order to do that you'll need something they have, you should have a strong military, and you have to maintain reasonable relations with some of them. Acquire resources for trade. Its one of the few improvements of CIV3 over CIV2. Depending on what you have and what they want you can often stay at par with the AI's tech just by trading. That will allow you to spend your income on other (more important) stuff.

Also if I don’t get Adam Smith’s trading company I’m way behind shortly after as well.
          ? Adam Smith gives money not research.
          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Re: Re: Warlord to Regent - I'm an idiot

Originally posted by SpencerH
            ? Adam Smith gives money not research.
            In fact Smith's Trading Company pays maintenance costs for marketplaces, banks, harbors and airports; and incomes you do not spend on maintenance can be used for research.
            Nym
            "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

Je comprend.
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Working...
              X