lots of custom stuff!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lots of custom stuff!

I just got civ3 two weeks ago.. ive started finding out about custom stuff. I loved making my own scenarios, sounds and graphics for civ2. I want to make things for civ3, especially my own units and rules, but im a bit confused.. theres lots of stuff to read through .. does anyone know where i could go to get an overview of what custom utils and stuff are available for civ3, how far custom hacking and editing has got so far? thanks

Just tweak randomly with the editor, you'll learn it's limits soon enough

Comment

Now for a constructive response:

Try this thread, it will be a good place to start.

And grab the Civ3MultiTool in the files area.

There's really nothing in one place that will tell you everything you need to know, just keep popping into Creation and read some of the threads. As for graphics, just take a look in your Art folder and get an idea of how they're handled in the game. If you're interested in adding other people's stuff, I recommend Sn00py's latest mod pack, he's done a nice job with the Forests and Jungles.

If it's units you're interested in look, for stuff done by some guys named Dark Sheer and Blue 0. There's a couple of other people that have done some as well. You'll find more unit graphics over at Civ Fanatics for some reason. Or if you'd like to make them from scratch, there's a utility called Flicster that can make animated units for the game.

Comment

cool, thanks.. i got flicster, i had a go at making a custom unit graphic.. have you heard of the game total annihilation? its an old strategy game like cc but it uses 3d modles for units, people have brought out utils for making custom units. I found it pretty easy to go into the unit build program and pose the unit in each direction and then take a screenshot, and paste it into the files that flicster generates, then repack the .flc. It looks quite good in the game! Plus total annihilation used blue panels on the units which changed to whatever team colour you had in the game, just like civ3, which was cool! i wonder if anyone else has tried this... it works well (for still graphics), although the game only has futuristic looking tanks and robots...

Comment

I haven 't heard of Total Annihilation, but I've noticed that some people have been converting units from other programs into Civ III ones. For instance I've seen a few from Age of Empires over at Civ Fanatics. If you get some working in the game, be sure to post them. I'm always in the market for something. It would be great if every civ had it's own versions of everything in the game, rather than all the units looking the same. That's one of the nice things about the whole UU thing, it makes it easy to do. Once they manage to add some events triggers in the editor, I can see a lot of potential for custom scenarios/mods.

Comment

yeah id like to see the same features they had in the civ2 scenario editor, like an events file. And being able to place units and cities. Also I think having technologies and improvements that are unique to one civ would be cool too, not just having the unique units... maybe they could even do a multi-map thing like in test of time.

Comment

To make your own units download "FLICster". Awesome program!

Yes. I was very confused about everything when I came here wanting to learn about editing too.

But the first step in editing you should make is probably to get familiar with the graphics by using FLICster and a paint program.
              --------------------------------------------
              My units:

Star Wars Hoth Laser Turret

Comment

Originally posted by Willem
                I haven 't heard of Total Annihilation...
                You haven´t??!! The best strategy game of 1997!
                (That means that you have no idea about my avatar or signature... )

Daftpanzer: Don´t forget to post them!
                The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

cool! someone who remembers total annihilation! ive had the game for ages, but only recently discovered online play and all the custom utilities and units...

Carlos have you downloaded much custom stuff for TA? ive been registered on the infogrames forum site for a while and found out about alot of TA stuff there... i play TA on ms zone sometimes.

BTW so far ive only done one rocket launcher vehicle, and i got the angle wrong so it looks kind of strange on the isometric map when it points in certain directions... I did a battle animation, but only in 2 direcitons so far... it is very hard to animate well, since i dont have a fancy 3d editor or anything.. all i can do is copy and paste in different positions to move a missile, and paint on some exhaust gases with ransparent brush... didnt look to bad, but not very good

A great thing is that the blue colour that represents the team colour in game is more or less the same in TA and civ3, and the paint program i use treats it as the same palette colour, which is nice! If i ever import TA grahpics of good quality I wiill try to post them to see what people think...
                  Last edited by Daftpanzer; March 31, 2002, 20:49.

Comment

Here is a place where you can find more things: TA Universe The community is still very alive!

I downloaded a lot of stuff, but i lost it all when my HD crashed not long ago, then I moved to other games. Maybe i can install it again and play online (it would be my first time )

I wish i could help you but i´m not very good at making graphics
                    Please keep trying! you are my only hope of seeing the Commanders in Civ3 .
                    Last edited by Unspeakable Horror; March 31, 2002, 20:58.
                    The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

Cool site, thanks carlos! ive read that there are a few TA 'supersites' like this..

lol i have played only 5 online games... i did quite well in one game, in another ocuple of games i was on the winning team but didnt really do much.. the rest of the time i get swarmed by hundreds of enemy vehciles, boats and planes while im still building basic stuff...

Comment

Working...
                      X