New ability: Sending settlers to foreign cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ability: Sending settlers to foreign cities

Hi to you all. This is the first time to write something, but some of you maybe remember me as Bibor Kiraly (my real name) because I was very active at the time when CIV3 was being created (I sent a ton of suggestions).

Alas,
    I have a very unusual question to you all. I was lying on my bed a few nights ago (I deinstalled CIV3 for several reasons ) and a brilliant idea came into my head:

WHAT IF YOU COULD SEND YOUR SETTLERS (OR MAYBE WORKERS) TO ENEMY CITY TO RAISE THE NUMBER OF FOREIGN (i.e. YOUR) POPULATION IN THAT CITY, INCREASING THE CHANCE FOR CONVERSION?

Possible solution: Yes, you can do that, but settlers still count as enemy unit (so you have to be very fast or have Passage agreement), enemy units can disband your settlers (as spies in CIV2 and SMAC) and there is a limit how many settlers can you send to a specific city.

I think this is an interesting idea, maybe guys at Firaxis should think about it (and about abuse prevention of it too...)

Bibor Szilard Kiraly
    aka
    Sargeant Kirby

This unit could be called "refugee."

Comment

I don't see how such a plan should be worked out. To use these units effectively you must have right of passage, but you can't have right of passage with ennemies and I would like to use those units mostly for converting ennemy cities.
      Of course you could use it to somehow betray your allies, (because that's what it is, basicly) but that would mean that betraying allies has become key element in the game.

Maybe there is a solution: give them thread all as road, so right of passage doesnot really help until steam power. Still I think such actions must make the ennemy more furious against you, like propaganda. And it should only be avaiable at high tech levels. I don't see the ancient Greeks undertaking such tactics.

Comment

Yes, I understand your comment and I humbly agree. But the question is qute more radical:
        Is Firaxis ready to create such ability for settlers, whatever their conditions might be?

Kirby

Comment

I like that idea. This way the Americans can send in tons of their settlers into Mexican territory and take over ethnicly the Texan towns and such. Then they can revolt and form their own republic! Or revolt to your side. This however would be different than refugees. Refugees would be people fleeing from warzones to peaceful places far away, and widely dispersed. Of course all this isn't really necissary, but might be interesting.
          Visit My Crappy Site!!!!
          http://john.jfreaks.com
          -The Artist Within-

Comment

Originally posted by JMarks
            This way the Americans can send in tons of their settlers into Mexican territory and take over ethnicly the Texan towns and such.
            You mean they havn't started yet?!?
            I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Not in civ they haven't. Of course you could do it the opposite way and have the mexicans take over American cities. You know, spread some xenophobia and whatnot. Of course if your culture in these areas are really great, then no need to worry. Of course in turn, does this really add to gameplay?

Rather than that, I would like to see the ability to send military units into squares occupied by allies like you could do in SMAC. This way you can defend their cities and help guard passes and not be blocked by your half-witted ally. That would add a lot. Just my 2 1/2 cents.
              Visit My Crappy Site!!!!
              http://john.jfreaks.com
              -The Artist Within-

Comment

Make it involuntary. Immigrants coming over to your country could greatly boost your population, and maybe bring tech, etc.

Comment

Working...
                X