TERRAIN: New Floodplains Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZAHKAR

When I attempt to use this mod and some others all I get is an attachment file and not a zip file. How does one utilize these files?
    You have to rename that "attachment" document in "whateveryouwant.zip"

Saluti
    A man who has not been in Italy, is always conscious of an inferiority. -Samuel Johnson- (1709-84), English author
    I love the language, that soft bastard Latin,/Which melts like kisses from a female mouth,/And sounds as if it should be writ on satin/With syllables which breathe of the sweet South.-Lord Byron- (1788-1824), English poet.
    Lump the whole thing! Say that the Creator made Italy from designs by Michael Angelo! -Mark Twain- (1835-1910), U.S. author.

Comment

Problems with attachments resolved

Thanks Giovanni. I was originally trying to do it after I had already downloaded the file. Once I did it before the download it worked. Once again thanks.

Comment

No problema

Saluti
        A man who has not been in Italy, is always conscious of an inferiority. -Samuel Johnson- (1709-84), English author
        I love the language, that soft bastard Latin,/Which melts like kisses from a female mouth,/And sounds as if it should be writ on satin/With syllables which breathe of the sweet South.-Lord Byron- (1788-1824), English poet.
        Lump the whole thing! Say that the Creator made Italy from designs by Michael Angelo! -Mark Twain- (1835-1910), U.S. author.

Comment

If you want to edit civ III to be more realistic I suggest reading up on the subject of ancient cultures and their history. An exelent book on the history of civilization is Arnold Toynbee's "mankind and mother earth" (Toynbee is one of the historians quoted in civ when one of those boxes springs up saying 'most powerfull/happiest/richest civilization of all time' etc).

The flood plains on the Nile, the Euphrates and Indus rivers were the starting point for several great civilisations simply because they were the only areas that remained fertile no matter how many times you farm them. Crop rotation requires animal dung or a slow process of tree growth and burning (the ash acts as fertilizer). The early middle eastern civilizations got a head start because they did not need to wait for domesticated animals or complicated crop rotation systems to support a large population.

The current Civ is very much more realistic than those that came before but in some ways it is still (thankfully) simplified.

Comment

what do you want to see changed

Do to the varying opinions expressed in this thread regarding what people want in a floodplain, I have posted a poll here to see what people want in a new FP grfx. It will be open for another 11 days (until April 19). Please vote for what you want to see changed or added. When the poll is over, i'll start working ona new mod.
            "Government isn't the solution to our problems; Government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

No, I don't have Civ4 yet...

Comment

This is something that might help. Picture of the Pantanal, Brazil.
              Attached Files
              I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Or this one. Pantanal, Brazil.
                Attached Files
                I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

The pictures are great, but they are jungle. Due to the limitation of floodplains only being available on desert tiles, they need to be designed with that in mind.

If you have any good pics of desert floodplains, that would be great. I have not had much time to work on the pcx file, let alone root out pictures.
                  "Government isn't the solution to our problems; Government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comment

they may be only available on desert tiles, but you can make them look like anything.

I am originally from the midwest region of the united states and the banks of the mississippi are all floodplains. this region is neither desert nor jungle but grassland and plains.

so flood plains can be found in almost any type of terrain, its just a matter of rainfall.

I would love to see a flood plain that completely covered the desert terrain underneath it and looked more like the old swamp terrain of Civ2.

this way you could put floodplains in the the middle of the brazilian jungles or along the mississippi delta, or along the nile river valley and it fit in all those places.
                    Creator of the Double Your Pleasure Mod Check out the DyP website and join the discussion on Double Your Pleasure Mod thread at civfanatics. You can play the mod on my DYP Earth Map
                    or play regular Civ3 on one of my earth maps: 256x205; 180x180 Map; or 140x140.
                    For you modders out there I have released a version of the map with no resources. You can get that version Clean 180x180 here or Clean 140x140 here.

Comment

Originally posted by DJensen
                      this way you could put floodplains in the the middle of the brazilian jungles or along the mississippi delta, or along the nile river valley and it fit in all those places.
                      except that they only appear on dessert graphics. I'm fairly certain it's hardcoded into the game that way (unless someone else can prove otherwise). I'd love to stick them everywhere, but Firaxis didn't design them that way.

They could never cover up the entire dessert square anyway, as each floodplain graphic straddles two terrain tiles, covering half of each one.

Comment

I understand that they can only appear on a desert tile, but in the bic it has nothing to do with the desert terrain type. so although they can only appear on desert tiles they don't have to "appear" to be desert tiles.

so if you can make it spread out further to cover up both tiles or at least cover up the majority of the tiles on eash side it wouldn't have to look like it was in the desert.

this may not have much effect on randomly generated maps but for user created maps we would be able to put floodplains virtually anywhere. just plop down the desert tile first and then cover it up with the floodplain.
                        Creator of the Double Your Pleasure Mod Check out the DyP website and join the discussion on Double Your Pleasure Mod thread at civfanatics. You can play the mod on my DYP Earth Map
                        For you modders out there I have released a version of the map with no resources. You can get that version Clean 180x180 here or Clean 140x140 here.

Comment

in relooking at your floodplains above, I see that there probably is no real way to completely cover up the desert tile, just as you had said, but the more of it that is covered up the better as far as I am concerned.

Comment

Working...
                          X