Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can resource appearance be linked to terrain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can resource appearance be linked to terrain?

I've recently added the strategic resource "lumber" as a requirement for more sophisticated naval vessels such as frigate etc and placed it in Forests and Jungles. I originally thought this might be an interesting variant in that if you deforested or severly reduced the forests in your civ you would similarly reduce or eliminate your ability to build those vessels. Now I'm thinking that the "lumber" will still appear since the resources are placed at the game start and it wont matter whether or not you've chopped down all or most of the forest/jungle.

Is there a way to link resource appearance to a particular terrain?
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

well, you could try this: make lumber have a high disappearance ratio, and then I don't think a civ could get any more lumber if they chopped down all their trees. I think new appearances are based on terrain, its just the old one's that are set in stone.

Comment

The only problem is that it would disappear too quickly so that no one could produce ships during the middle ages. I suppose if I also increase the appearance rate it would counter the rapid disappearance and the new lumber would only appear where the proper terrain is present.

It's worth a try.

Thanks
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

yeah, that's one of the problems caused by the resources disappearing at random instead of allowing a certain amount of use first.

Comment

I heard that resources didn't disappear until they were connected by road. I'm not sure if that applies to resources that haven't been disclosed yet, i.e. if timber disappears before the preruisite Astronomy is researched, assuming that is the prereq. Of course after timber becomes unnecessary players will find the constant pop-ups telling of disappearing timber quite annoying.

Just let forest be mined, that'll remove the incentive to cut them down to mine the tile (which becomes valid after railroad is discovered).

Btw, I don't think good-quality timber for ships is found in jungles, but that's just me.
          MonsterMan's Mod: http://www.angelfire.com/amiga/civ3/

Comment

Teak (for example) comes from jungles, and while I'm not an expert, I'm pretty sure it could have been used to build any ship that was built with oak. Does anybody know what the chinese used to build their ships, it sure wasnt bamboo ? I think jungles have been poorly addressed in CIV3 and CIV2 (I dont remember about CIV) and I mod them to produce more food and shields but leave the disease.

Comment

Working...
            X