Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gallivant...

Hey Gallivant,

Thats the one thing I didn't do is install the drivers for my moniter. Will let you all know what happens after a few days of conquering.

Take that BISMARCK you rotten son of a #&^#%!

Comment

Captain's log:

Phew, finally got it to work after four days of battling with my PC.

Uninstalled driver for my NVidia GeForce2 Ti and let WindowsXP handle the driver .

Added "refresh=75" to the civilization.ini (thanks to snake_3017 at http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...0&pagenumber=1).

And, behold, it runs! Peachy as a peach.

Happy gaming everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Purest Warrior
        Captain's log:

Phew, finally got it to work after four days of battling with my PC.

Uninstalled driver for my NVidia GeForce2 Ti and let WindowsXP handle the driver .
        isn't the performance alot slower?

Comment

I don't know - it's a new computer and it's the first time I get civ3 to run on it.

This is the only thing that has worked, and believe me, I've tried a lot of strange things. I would like to use the NVidia driver, but I can't.
          If anyone has experiences with NVidia cards, WinXP, and civ3, please enlighten me.

Comment

have you tried ruuning it 98 compatability mode, with the newest Nvidia drivers, it worked for me on my Duron, Geforce 2 MX, XP system?

otherwise i'm pretty sure you'll be slowing your computer down

Comment

I have a new notebook branded Microstar/Medion MD9694 with XP home: so far, so good with Civ III 1.17f

My HW basics are Celeron 1.2 GHz, 256 MB Ram, ATI Radeon Mobility P 32 MB Ram

Well. I had once an hiccup at the start, while I pressed enter to stop the intro, and have some trouble with a game that hang while my fighter scramble from my carrier to intercept enemy attacking bomber. That said, it seems to me that the former can be related to an XP trouble or not, while the latter seems more a game bug looking for a fix
              "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
              - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Re: Video Drivers

Originally posted by Zardos

Here's how you get to Hardware Acceleration:

1. Right click on your desktop and choose properties
                2. Go to the Settings tab
                3. Click on the Advanced button
                4. Go to the Troubleshoot tab
                5. Change the Slider under Hardware Acceleration to Full.
                Well Zardos, I tried this and when I went to run Civ III, my monitor blew out! There was a loud POP! and then the screen went blank!

But there's a good ending to my story. I bought a new monitor, and now Civ III runs great! It turns out my problem wasn't an XP vs Civ III issue, but rather a Monitor vs Civ III issue. Now Civ III and all my other games look and play much better!

So I'm actually grateful you helped me blow out my monitor! It was old and needed to be retired anyway (It was hooked up to its fourth computer). Kind of cool to see it go out with a bang!
                Eine Spritze gegen Schmerzen, bitte.

Comment

Well, I feel sorry for you guys. I've been running XP on my computer for months now and I've not had a single problem with it and Civ 3. Kind of funny huh?
                  Overworked and underpaid C/LTJG in the NJROTC
                  If you try to fail and succeed which have you done?
                  If fail to plan, then you plan to fail

Comment

Originally posted by trevor
                    Well, I feel sorry for you guys. I've been running XP on my computer for months now and I've not had a single problem with it and Civ 3. Kind of funny huh?
                    Same for me. I love WinXP Pro.

I am quite serious. I really love them. That is the first M$ OS I have ever had that doesn't crash at will. Actually, I can't remember a single system-wide crash since I installed XPs in November last year. However, I did a thorough search for the latest drivers when installing and I do keep the system in good shape by regularly updating it.

Civ3 works with no extra adjustments on my system (I am using a Matrox G450 video card).

Comment

I run XP pro and have no problems with Civ3. But I can't say, that XP never crashes. But it's much better than the Windows 9x/ME series, though.

My advice on problems:

- Check the graphics drivers.
                      - Same for the sound drivers. Civ3 uses MP3 sounds.
                      - Check the installed fonts. Uninstall all but the system fonts and look if Civ3 runs. If yes, reinstall them one by one and look, which one crashed the game.
                      - Check/adjust the directory rights. Civ3 needs read access on the entire directory and write access on the savegame folder.

Comment

Re: Re: Video Drivers

Originally posted by Falconius

Well Zardos, I tried this and when I went to run Civ III, my monitor blew out! There was a loud POP! and then the screen went blank!

But there's a good ending to my story. I bought a new monitor, and now Civ III runs great! It turns out my problem wasn't an XP vs Civ III issue, but rather a Monitor vs Civ III issue. Now Civ III and all my other games look and play much better!

So I'm actually grateful you helped me blow out my monitor! It was old and needed to be retired anyway (It was hooked up to its fourth computer). Kind of cool to see it go out with a bang!
                        Um, sorry? WOW, I've never heard of that happening before, that monitor must have been on its last legs to begin with (that's my story and I'm sticking to it ).

Well, I'm glad I afforded you a new opportunity to purchase a monitor. Just think of the shelf-life of that new monitor, and when it blows out, years from now, think of me

Zardos

Comment

Working...
                        X