Question about city name lists.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about city name lists.

How does the game handle two identical entries in a civ's city name list? Does it crash because two cities can't be named identically, or does it add a "New..." prefix and continues with the next name in the list for the next city?
    MonsterMan's Mod: http://www.angelfire.com/amiga/civ3/

I have no idea. How does it handle a city with already a New prefix?
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I once saw...

...the english city New York when the names ran dry and the game got to the city of York. There are some other wacky examples like that.

About your question I think the city of New Hampshire would just be dubbed New New Hampshire, because the "New" prefix is only used once. Then cities are called "London 2" et cetera.

Anyhow since I can't play the game or fiddle with the editor at the moment, I thought I'd compile some name lists for the civs so I have those ready when I can get back to work. And I wondered how meticulous I need to be to sort out double entries.
      MonsterMan's Mod: http://www.angelfire.com/amiga/civ3/

Comment

Re: Question about city name lists.

Originally posted by MonsterMan
        How does the game handle two identical entries in a civ's city name list? Does it crash because two cities can't be named identically, or does it add a "New..." prefix and continues with the next name in the list for the next city?
        Interesting question.

If you play as America and expand to the point where you're headed through the list again, it will skip New York (no, nothing like "New New York," just skips). I assume that means it checks for "New" and if it's there, the algortithm believes it must have been used again already, so the game moves on.

Never tried identical names, so I'm not sure, but good question.

Comment

I've never had a problem with repeat names, it just applies the algorithm twice to each city. Obviously, the only pain is that it is hard to distinguish which city is which. I had a scenario where three civs had the name Springfield (Missouri, Illinois, and Massachusetts). It was unwieldy, so I didn't finish it.
          "'It's the last great adventure left to mankind'
          Screams a drooping lady,
          offering her dreamdolls at less than extortionate prices."
          -"The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging" (Genesis 1974)

Comment

Paris
            New Paris
            Paris 2
            New Paris 2
            Paris 3
            New Paris 3

etc.

My roommate has a game with "New Bangalore 3"

Comment

Working...
            X