i just can't do it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i just can't do it

I'm having problems with Civ 3. I have read many of the strategy threads, but I can't even play the game on chieftain. I always set it on a huge map, but the computer builds cities so fast that their civs fill up the map and get the resources before I can. This happens every game. Since when your treasury gets to 0 and you're in debt, it doesn't really matter, I put science funding on 90% and I build universities in every city and I have as many citizens be scientists as I possibly can, yet I never can get ahead of the computer in science. And it is on chieftain! What does it take to go ahead? Also, I just discovered the save editor so I still haven't been in the modern age yet, and I was wondering if the UN will help little civs like me to not get picked on. Even when the comp doesn't have a right of passage movement, they always fill my borders with troops. I ask them to get out, they declare war on me, and I'm absolutely screwed because they're already inside my borders. Well, in real life isn't violating borders like that some sort of war crime? So, shouldn't it be that way in civ 3? And also, in real life, doesn't the UN help countries that are being attacked for absolutely no reason? I also need help in a particular game I'm playing. I have been building infantry for a while now, and now all the sudden it isn't an option to build for. Why is this happening?! And, the only resource I have access to is saltpeter and rubber. I need oil, but the closest oil is half a world away. I am being attacked by 5 superpowers and I can't spare many troops. And the only boats I can build are galleons, and I can't build planes to stop the bombers from pounding me. What should I do? And on't tell me peace, because I try each civ every turn and they don't listen. Somebody please help.
    "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

You should try to play an Expansionist civ next time. The Americans are pretty good, also being Industrious. With a bunch of scouts on a huge map, you would end up with quite a few free techs from the goody huts in the Ancient Era, enough to give you a good head start and probably end up on top by the Middle Ages. They'll catch up to you at that point, but you'll have had more time to develop your infrastructure.

A good policy to follow is every city you create generates 2 more, so your growth becomes exponential. And then throw in the odd Settler from your inner cities once they get larger. A good time to do this is after you've just finished a Wonder. Don't bother to much with developing your cities or building military units until a city has produced at least 2 Settlers and 1 or 2 Workers.

One exception to this will be frontier cities. If you find a civ, start sending out Settlers to build cities in it's path, even if that means leaving a lot of empty space behind. Then build/rush Temples so your borders start expanding. Then keep building cultural improvements. If you can block his expansion before he gets huge, then you can fill in the territory in behind later. And don't worry about the corruption in them, think of them strategically not as producers. Just be sure to reinforce from your inner cities on a steady basis.

As for a civ's units wandering over your territory, I've found that they generally only do that if your military is weaker than theirs. If you're stronger, chances are you won't see any at all. They're testing your resolve and looking for an excuse to start a war since they figure they'll win. So keep an eye on your military advisor screen and build accordingly.

Comment

When i first started playing i got totally defeated by the AI aswel.
      Then a switched to tiny map with 3 civs, it was a totally different game! and i actually managed to win. So maybe u should do what i did its a lot easier also try to pick someone like the Iroquis or romans so you get an early advantage in the ancient age.

Comment

I too had a lot of trouble when I first started playing, and that was after 10 years of playing CivI/II. A couple of tips to getting started.
        1. Grow like there is no tomorrow . Build settlers like crazy so that you can expand, making sure you at least have troops to defend most if not all of your cities. One good trick I have found is that in your capital, you can build 1 unit for exploration, 1 for defense, and then you should be at approximately a pop of three. At this point, start building a settler. Send out the defender with the settler, then build another unit, then another settler. In your border cities build a temple first to expand your borders.
        2. City location . If you are having a lot of trouble, make sure that your first city location is a good one. Cows are probably the best for starting out, followed by Wheat, followed by Grasslands with shields, and oh, make sure there is a river or lake nearby. Also, having a luxury item nearby is very helpful.
        3. Mine away . Since in Despotism you don't get any benefit from irrigating grasslands you should mine (and road) them all. You do get a food advantage from irrigating cows and wheat, but I would still mine them. You want to make sure you can build stuff quickly. If you have an overabundance of cows/wheat/floodplains then you can irrigate one of them.
        4. Pick your civ . Try playing with a civ that is Industrious. The workers work twice, which early on is VERY beneficial. Try playing as the Egyptians or the Persians. Egyptians are Ind/Rel so they have half price temples which is GREAT for making quick culture. Persian Unique Unit Immortals are probably one of the best early units.
        5. Explore . Try to get as many huts as you can to get as many freebie scientific advances as possible. If you need some extra help you could save before you enter a hut, and if it is bad, then reload , wait a turn, and enter again. I have found that you will need to have the unit wait a turn before entering again, or else it will always end up being the same thing.
        6. Blind them with science . The computer tends to try to get all the first sciences before moving on to the next stage. If you can get to a few of the higher ups before them, you can trade for a lot of the lower ones. Also, be the first to find Iron Working and you may be able to corner the market on Iron by building your cities near it. And even if you can't corner the market, at least you are sure you will have it.

Well, I know this is kind of long - sorry about that. I have tried to condense as much as I could, but I hope I didn't miss anything too important. Good luck, and I hope this helps.

Nimokmai

Comment

Working...
        X