Pollution help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pollution help needed

I just got Civ III, and am enjoying my first game. I've played both Civ and Civ II so I'd consider myself a fairly knowledgeable player with the series.

My problem is Pollution, I'm getting buried in the stuff, I have a city which only produces 4 shields in total, and although its pop is 30 it's producing pollution even after rush building a mass transit system.

I haven't built any factories and I have the Hoover Dam, all my cities are on one Pangea, so they all (in theory) should have a Hydro plant. I've just researched Recycling and am in the process of building Recycling centres everywhere (have about 95 cities now).

Am I doing something wrong? I really dont remember having theses kind of problems in Civ II, already 4 grassland squares have reverted to plains.

Once you have the combination of mass transit, recycling center and solar plant in your city, pollution is no longer a concern. If you don't have the technology yet to build all 3, remove the high polluting production tiles (mines in hills and mountains, etc.) and switch the city to producing wealth. When the technology does become available you can buy the new building. That's just one strategy, there's many more. You can also keep a group of workers dedicated to immediately remove pollution as it appears.

Comment

Taniwha:

dbl-click a city for us. Look in the city screen and tell us how many pollution points it has. Also include a list of improvements and the population. OR, if you know how, post a picture of the city screen so we can see all the relevant information. If you can do it for 2 cities it would really speed up civiii pollution education for all of us.

I'm curious too about your pollution problem.
      sum dum guy

Comment

High city populations in CivIII are causing a lot more pollution. 30 citizens is 10 more than needed to cover a city's tiles, so why not limit your cities to size 20?

Pollution occurs much more frequently if left untended, too. Use workers to clean up any as soon as it occurs, and try to have enough workers to clean up any spot in one turn.

Factories in CivIII do not really produce that much, as long as you don't combine them with coal plants. Smaller cities (below size 13) with factories will give you better production, and less pollution than those with extra citizens, too.

When Mass Transit and all other pollution prevention improvements are in place, you can build up city populations to the maximum amounts you feel you need, using workers to fix pollution as it occurs.

Comment

Having played some more last night, I've established that all cities above 20, even with MTS, recycling centre and Solar plant still produce 1 pollution no matter what I do. If the city is over 30 they produce 2 pollution. So it would seem the pollution is tied to my population rather than shields.

They obviously changed the way population polltuion works (or they nerfed the efficacy of the MTS).

I'll experiment and rush build a Nuclear plant and see if that makes any difference, it shouldnt as it clearly states it reduces shield pollution by 50%.

Comment

Working...
          X