UTILITY: ModSwapper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UTILITY: ModSwapper

I've written a VB program to handle the swapping of mods (thanks to The Rusty Gamer for the idea).

Currently the program loads mod files from a subfolder in scenarios using information from an INI file in the scenarios folder.

When a subsequent mod is loaded the program will first restore standard files for all files the previous mod changed, then load the mod and do some error-checking on the incoming civ3mod.bic. Finally the program exits, saves session activity to a log file, and either launches the game, the editor, or simply closes down.

The program is still beta but is working well for me right now (running 98SE). You will need the VB runtime files for the program to work. (If you don't have them you can download a full install of this program at my admittedly primitive website.

New for V1.04

The program automatically keeps the large and small tech icons in sync for mods that add techs.
    Command line switches are added that make it possible to create shortcuts to any particular mod.
    You may load a random mod (the game will launch automatically)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Cimberbe; January 31, 2002, 19:05.
    Camptostoma imberbe: the beardless tyrant is generally not conspicuous, lurking in the dense thickets of mesquite.

Oh yeah, Paul did one of these for CtP2. Quite a good idea.
    You might want to change the name to avoid confusion in fact.
    ModSwapper's here
    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Download problem!

I tried to download. It gave me something called "Attachment" which was not a zip file.
      Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
      Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

Simply rename attachment to attachment.zip

Comment

Sorry, I wasn't aware of the other ModSwapper. Just seemed a natural name. I'm thinking of adding a check on filedatetimes to determine if the current mod has been changed. I'll try to come up with a more unique name for the next version.
          Camptostoma imberbe: the beardless tyrant is generally not conspicuous, lurking in the dense thickets of mesquite.

Comment

Just teasing

I think its a great program. Something that was sorely needed, as it was in Civ2 and CtP2 [the scenario structure is buggy , one of the few things Activision did right, they did wrong].
            Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
            "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

New Version 1.04 released. Details in first post.

Comment

Hi

By my opinion need change format for paths of folders/files in ini to Windows standard, like ..\Scenarios\MyGreatMod
                CiviPort

Comment

this is a nice util. thanx

Comment

Excellent work! At last I can test different mods without fiddling with dozens of files!
                    "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Working...
                    X