Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Play as the Macedonians!!!

UPDATE (v1.2, 01/20/02)

28 Macedonian city names added; capital changed to Aegai.

UPDATE (v1.1, 01/19/02):

Ah, so soon... fixed the problem dealing with playing as the Greeks in a normal game. All civilopedia entries/pictures fixed.

Yep, thats right. I replaced the Greeks, as i do not know as of yet how to make a new civilization. (If you know how, please please post how in a new thread)

Besides that, here are the Macedonian stats:

Ruler: Captain-General Alexander
    UU: Phalanx (2.3.1)
    Capital: Aegai
    Leaders: Ptolemy, Hephaestion, Parmenio, Nearcus, Cleitus the Black, Craterus, Perdiccas, Coenus
    Attributes: Scientific and Commercial

Here is the file:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by exsanguination; January 20, 2002, 17:49.
    [size=1]"As night fell she emerged with a box under her arm that held her pledge of allegiance and her uniform. She laid it at the gates of the General's embassy and her whisper echoed into dawn as she disappeared: The truth will set my people free."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Visit my personal civ3 page here.

hmmm...

name: Macedons is also correct and sounds cooler than Macedonians imho

ruler: the Macedons had Kings, not "captain-generals"
    also, Alexandros' "full" name is "Alexandros III the Great"

cities:
    Aegai (first capital)
    Pella (second capital)
    Dion
    Stageira (Aristotle's birth city)
    Methoni
    Amphipolis
    Edessa
    Argos Orestikon
    Neapolis
    Aeani
    Veroia
    Ichnai
    Liti
    Thermi
    Olynthos
    and a few more that you can see here

leaders: you're using either alexander's generals or unknown(to me) names
    how about the kings prior to Alexander?

Hercules (yeap, according to the legend, Hercules was the founder of the Argead dynasty which ruled the Macedons)
    Illos
    Kleodaios
    Aristomachos
    Timmenos
    Kissios
    Thestios
    Merops
    Aristodamidas
    Phidon
    Karanos (Late 9th/Early 8th Cent.BC) He built the city Aegai (Vergina)
    Koinos (Mid-8th Cent.BC)
    Tyrimmas (Late 8th/Early 7th Cent.BC)
    Perdikkas I (670-652BC)
    Argaios I (652-621BC)
    Philippos I (621-588BC)
    Aeropos I (588-568BC)
    Alketas (568-540BC)
    Amyntas I (540-498BC) From this period we have the first historical records
    Alexandros I (498-454BC) Participated in the Olympics and received the title of the Philellin
    Perdikkas II (454-413BC)
    Archelaos I (413-399BC) Made Pella the capital of his kingdom
    Orestis (399-396BC)
    Aeropos II (396-393BC)
    Pausanias (393BC)
    Amyntas II the Lioras (393BC)
    Amyntas III (392-370BC)
    Alexandros II (370-368BC)
    Ptolemeos Alorites (368-365BC)
    Perdikkas III (365-359BC)
    Philippos II (359-336BC)
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

goddam!!! thanks dude!!!

here are my justifications:
      -Macedon had kings, but Alexander called himself Captain-General (his full title was: Alexander III Captain-General Tyrant Demagogue Pharaoh Great-King; and late to the Indians as European King of Kings)
      -as for the leaders, you are very correct. And I'm pretty sure you named all of them in your list, just with Macedonian spellings (the spellings I am using are the Greek to English translations, since we are all English speakers, mostly). I could add the others, but who gets that many great leaders in game? If you do, I'll be obliged.
      -one other thing about the great leaders - I find it dumb to add kings' names. That is what the ruler name is for, and Alexander III took that spot.
      -Argos was the founding city of the Macedonians. I didn't put it at the top of the list because it was already there, and by Alexander's time Pella was the greatest.

Regardless, I am forever in your debt for this valuable information!!! (I spent all last night searching th web for info... couldn't find much) - especially for the city names. I bow down to you....
      Last edited by exsanguination; January 20, 2002, 12:05.
      [size=1]"As night fell she emerged with a box under her arm that held her pledge of allegiance and her uniform. She laid it at the gates of the General's embassy and her whisper echoed into dawn as she disappeared: The truth will set my people free."
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by exsanguination
        -Macedon had kings, but Alexander called himself Captain-General
        this must be some bad translation of something that i cant imagine, as the greek word for "captain" mean the first officer on a ship

(his full title was: Alexander III Captain-General Tyrant Demagogue Pharaoh Great-King; and late to the Indians as European King of Kings)
        can you find a source on this? i find it strange, especially the use of the words "tyrant" and "demagogue"...

-as for the leaders, you are very correct. And I'm pretty sure you named all of them in your list, just with Macedonian spellings (the spellings I am using are the Greek to English translations, since we are all English speakers, mostly).
        my spellings are also Greek to English

-Argos was the founding city of the Macedonians.
        actually, Argos is in Peloponnisos(south Greece). the founding city of the Argead dynasty was Argos Orestikon which i have listed above

Comment

Alrighty then...

My source - for almost everything in this mod - is Harold Lamb's "Alexander of Macedon: Journey to World's End".

Here are some quotes I used as info:

Writing a few words on parchment, the general showed them to the sophist. Alexandros III, Strategos Tyrant Demagogue Pharaoh. After a second's hesitation, while Anaxarchus read, he added the word Theos. "His titles, as from today. In their simplest form. If he can live up to all those, it will be a miracle." --pg. 184

Later on, Lamb talks of a grant Alexander gives to the Athenians:

...The signature - Alexandros, Strategos. The grant, then, was from the captain-general of the Hellenes. --pg.185

Harold Lamb wrote many books on Ancient History, and was widely respected. (not sure whether he still lives)

And as for the leaders, names such as Perdikkas are my Perdiccas. Regardless, if you'd really like I'll add those leaders to my list.
          And finally, about Argos, I guess I stand corrected

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
            Hercules (yeap, according to the legend, Hercules was the founder of the Argead dynasty which ruled the Macedons)
            I hope you know that hollywood made that name. I forgot how to spell it but its pronounce "hair - ra - cleas".
            I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Originally posted by Thrawn05

I hope you know that hollywood made that name. I forgot how to spell it but its pronounce "hair - ra - cleas".
              heracles

Comment

I've always read that Hercules was simply the Romanized form of the Greek hero Heracles (sometimes spelled as Herakles and a few even rarer variations)--I know the Romans spread pretty far, but California seems a bit of a stretch!

Comment

Originally posted by Thrawn05
                  Heracles or Herakles. Hercules is Latin.

Comment

Originally posted by exsanguination
                    And as for the leaders, names such as Perdikkas are my Perdiccas.
                    the letter "k"("kappa") in greek are sometimes presented with "k" and others with "c"
                    it's mostly a matter of pronounciation i believe....

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                      Heracles or Herakles. Hercules is Latin.
                      I think its more like Herakles. But oh well, I'm being picky
                      I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Working...
                      X