GRAPHIC: new road/rails tiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRAPHIC: new road/rails tiles

Okay, gonna try again to post this. New road/rails graphics! This graphic set simulates the city sprawl.

The roads have slight changes to it, not a big deal, but I included it anyways.

The rails now has urban buildings on them, espeically on the 8-intersection rail tiles. What does this mean? Urban sprawl! Ever viewed simcity from the maximum zoom? Well, that's what it'll look like on your little civ3 worlds. At a glance, you can easily tell a totally developed nation versus a undeveloped one. I wished the civ3 team had implmented their own version of city sprawl, but oh well, this is as good as it'll get.

Enjoy!
    Attached Files

Behold!
    Attached Files

Comment

That looks pretty freakin cool man! I was just about to try this with my thin roads graphic, but me no have no time...

GOOD JOB!
      "You don't have to be modest if you know you're right."- L. Rigdon

Comment

what's the pentagon doing north of your city?

But actually, if you put it there, it's a good idea-we can finally put wonders on the map!

Comment

Re: GFX: new road/rails tiles

Originally posted by BlueO
          Okay, gonna try again to post this. New road/rails graphics! This graphic set simulates the city sprawl.

The roads have slight changes to it, not a big deal, but I included it anyways.

The rails now has urban buildings on them, espeically on the 8-intersection rail tiles. What does this mean? Urban sprawl! Ever viewed simcity from the maximum zoom? Well, that's what it'll look like on your little civ3 worlds. At a glance, you can easily tell a totally developed nation versus a undeveloped one. I wished the civ3 team had implmented their own version of city sprawl, but oh well, this is as good as it'll get.

Enjoy!
          Nice job! I'd definitely prefer to look at that as opposed to those ugly railroads every where! Good work!

Comment

I imagine the Pentagons in the screenshot are either forts or one of the rail tile graphics...
            "You don't have to be modest if you know you're right."- L. Rigdon

Comment

ew!
              in that case, I'd rather not RR anything but the immediate area around my city centre.

but it's kind of cool. definitely reflects urban sprawl!
              nice work, though it hurts my eyes if I look at it too long (then again, that bright blue firaxis sea also does that... maybe i have some visual impairment?)

what gives with that pentagon? putting wonders on the map seems like a really really good idea!
              Proud Citizen of the Civ 3 Demo Game
              Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
              Join the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game! ~ Play the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game!
              Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Comment

You guys also missed the UN buliding. As well as the pyramid, though, you can't see it because its being covered by the pollution at the moment.

I have to admit, the urban buildings do look strangly cluttered at first. You can't see what's underneath the buildings...like a missing irrigation spot or something. But, I only build massive rails immediately around my cities, so the urban sprawl reflects perfectly. And the single line rails connecting the cities is still uncluttered, and looks pretty cool. The CIV3 rails set is pretty good actually, when they aren't been overbuilt. Too bad, the AI never stops buildings rails, and their whole land will eventually become a messy urban wasteland. Sorry Captain, but I'm afraid your eyes might explode, if you ever see the AI's version of urban sprawl.

Comment

You know, BlueO...

That is a stroke of genius. I am truly impressed and ashamed I didn't think of it first. This concept reflects the gradual urbanisation of cities as they spread towards the periphery. Truely inspired stuff, I take my hat off to you.

I just have one request, and it's for you to make them less like inner urban areas but more like suburban regions. That would be more reflective of reality, and it would probably be easier on the eyes. I'm downloading the mod now. Can't wait to try it out.

Comment

Originally posted by soufie77
                    You know, BlueO...

That is a stroke of genius. I am truly impressed and ashamed I didn't think of it first. This concept reflects the gradual urbanisation of cities as they spread towards the periphery. Truely inspired stuff, I take my hat off to you.

I just have one request, and it's for you to make them less like inner urban areas but more like suburban regions. That would be more reflective of reality, and it would probably be easier on the eyes. I'm downloading the mod now. Can't wait to try it out.
                    Agreed. If you could tone it down a notch and show a bit of the farmland as well as the urban sprawl it would be great. After all, one square represents a lot of land, and you wouldn't see skyscrapers for hundreds of miles. Maybe even make it more of an outlying village thing. BTW, will it show up in the city view like this as well? If so, it might make rather hard to know what's underneath the graphic. I hope you decide to work on it since I would dearly love to have an alternative to the railroads. But this particular graphic might be a bit much for me. Keep up the good work.

Comment

Actually, I thought about that, toward the end. But by that time, I've already filled most of the tiles with skyscrapers. Hmm, maybe I'll redo it again some other time, with suburban buildings for the outlying areas. But if someone else would like to take a shot at it, it would be great.

Comment

Actually, I thought about that, toward the end. But by that time, I've already filled most of the tiles with skyscrapers. Hmm, maybe I'll redo it again some other time, with suburban buildings for the outlying areas. But if someone else would like to take a shot at it, it would be great.
                        Hey, don't give up now! I speak on behalf of all those players that despise the current railway graphics, "We want you to continue!! Please give us something that we can enjoy looking at for hours at a time!!" The fate of the Civ world rests in your hands.

Comment

Where did you get your cool irrigation graphics from?

Comment

But if someone else would like to take a shot at it, it would be great.
                            I thought about adding urban sprawl to one of my railroad version. Then I realised it was way above my copy-and-paste talents!!
                            I build railroads like the AI, im afraid, so this version would be the death of me!
                            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Keep up the good work!

I tried the railways and roads, and like them much better than the original ones. Thanx! I agree with some of the others, though, could you (or someone else) please make the buildings smaller (so that they don't hide your cities) , and include a mix of suburbs, smaller cities etc.

Even more elegant would be to have different graphics in the industrial age and the modern age...

Comment

Working...
                              X