End-Around for Resource Limits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End-Around for Resource Limits

(I posted this over at civfanatics as well. Looking for some feedback. Will this work?)

From what I understand reading this board, apparently you can only add two new resource Icons to the game if you want them to show up on the map. I understand it is possible to add more resources and either reuse one of the other resource icons or not have it “appear” on the map. The resource actually appears on the map you just can’t see it. The only way to know where it is is to right click on the terrain square and check to see what is there. Highly tedious.

I would rather just lump a bunch of the resources together, i.e. silver, gold, copper, platinum, alter the graphic to indicate that its not just gold and then the user can click to see just what exact resource it is, already knowing that something is there and what general family it is. This way we could have livestock and then differentiate into sheep, cows, fowl, pigs, etc. , Vegetables, split into, corn, potatoes, greens, etc. Game, deer, moose, seal, pheasant, squirrels, etc. Fruits could be pineapples, apples, bananas, grapes, etc. Gemstones, diamonds, sapphires, rubies, emeralds, jade, etc. Incense with Tobacco and other smoky things. You get the idea.

Now what do you think? Is this even possible? What resources should be lumped together?
    Creator of the Double Your Pleasure Mod Check out the DyP website and join the discussion on Double Your Pleasure Mod thread at civfanatics. You can play the mod on my DYP Earth Map
    or play regular Civ3 on one of my earth maps: 256x205; 180x180 Map; or 140x140.
    For you modders out there I have released a version of the map with no resources. You can get that version Clean 180x180 here or Clean 140x140 here.

Re: End-Around for Resource Limits

Originally posted by DJensen

Now what do you think? Is this even possible? What resources should be lumped together?
    It's possible ... but other than adding some complexity ( to my Florence mod I added papyrus and sand, for example ) it doesn't matter how many resources or which ones you lump. If the ores are your concern, for example, you can make a general purpose 'miner' icon and then people could use it for whatever individual strategic resource they want.

Good luck ...

Hank

Comment

Re: Re: End-Around for Resource Limits

Originally posted by Hanksname

It's possible ... but other than adding some complexity ( to my Florence mod I added papyrus and sand, for example ) it doesn't matter how many resources or which ones you lump. If the ores are your concern, for example, you can make a general purpose 'miner' icon and then people could use it for whatever individual strategic resource they want.

Good luck ...

Hank
      That's what I've been doing. I'm lumping together the energy resources, construction resources, etc. If you set them so that they come up in different terrain, it's not difficult to know which one is which. I'm now up to 20 different bonus resources, plus the 16 specials. I don't get anymore actual resources than I did before, but I get a lot more variety, especially in my Coast squares.

Comment

Working...
      X