No announcement yet.

MOD: Civ3 - Unit-Mania - 40 plus extra Units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone plz tell me where i unzip these files to??? Plz tell me i know in the Civ 3 folder but where plz tell me!!!!

Thank You for your attention!

Comment

Regards where to unzip the files to :

In the zip file, using Winzip, I have embedded the correct "Path" for each of the files.

Note that I have set up my Civ3 under a different folder structure than most, and so the basic upper level files like civ3mod.bic will for me go under C:\CIV3, whereas the "ini" files for one of the new units such as "Civil Defense" would go under the sub-folder C:\CIV3\Art\Units\Civil Defense.

Similarly the file Civilopedia.txt would go under the subfolder C:\Civ3\Text.

Winzip is smart enough to create these subfolders if they don't exist provided you have ticked/checked the box entitled "Use Folder names"

If you have used the standard installation them I would imagine that you need to put the files under

\Program Files\Infogrames\Civilization 3\ instead of under \Civ3

You should be able to unzip my zip file asis (it will create a folder called \Civ3 and all the underlying files and subfolders) and then drag and drop the files (and new sub-folders) using "Windows Explorer" or something similar into whatever structure you have set up for your installation of Civ3.

Bear in mind that you should ALWAYS back up your original files before over-writing them with any modpack.

Good Luck.

Comment

Kristjan,

Re :
        Nice patch, but BUT WHERE ARE THE GUERILLAS???
        No reason why they can't be added.

Given the stats for the various units in the modpack (largely unchanged from the original Civ3), what stats would you suggest for them, and when (after what advance) do you think they should be available ?

If they have "stealth", "hidden nationality" and "All as road" there is a danger that they could be too powerful compared to the other units unless their stats are set appropriately.

Comment

Originally posted by Kestrel
          Kristjan,

Re :

No reason why they can't be added.
          Thanks... And sorry for loud voice, btw...

Given the stats for the various units in the modpack (largely unchanged from the original Civ3), what stats would you suggest for them, and when (after what advance) do you think they should be available ?
          First of all, guerilla warfare is not an entirely modern thing as it was in civ2. Therefore there should be several 'guerilla' units for middle, industrial and moder age, at least. Some examples (without proper names unfortunately):

1) Diversion team: 1, 1, 1 (from the very start, probably Warrior Code, guerilla analogue of Warrior, does not become obsolete)

2) Middle-age guerilla, armed with crossbows: 4, 2, 1

BTW why are the crossbows left out from civ3? There should be a non-guerilla crossbow infantry unit as well.

3) Rifleman-based guerilla: 5, 5, 1

BTW, standard Rifleman should be 5, 6, 1 not 4, 6, 1 because they are better equipped for attack than longbowmen.

4) Mounted guerilla (cavalry-based): 5, 2, 3 (Pancho Villa)

5) Modern guerilla (infantry-based): 6, 7, 1

6) Mortars (artillery-based): bomb. 10, range 1, rate of fire 2

If they have "stealth", "hidden nationality" and "All as road" there is a danger that they could be too powerful compared to the other units unless their stats are set appropriately.
          Yes, there is a problem there. I guess all inf. guerilla units should treat all terrain types as roas, all guerilla units except mortars should always withdraw. All guerilla types should be of 'hidden nationality'. Only the first (Diversion team in my list) should have stealth. All infantry types should be Draftable.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristjan
            Yes, there is a problem there. I guess all inf. guerilla units should treat all terrain types as roas, all guerilla units except mortars should always withdraw. All guerilla types should be of 'hidden nationality'. Only the first (Diversion team in my list) should have stealth. All infantry types should be Draftable.
            Sorry if I misunderstood you. What did you mean with 'stealth' -- Stealth Bomber's extra defence abilities or submarine's capability to be invisible to ordinary units? The latter should certainly be attributed to all guerilla units. I do not know which of these two makes sense for ground units.

Kristjan

Comment

There is a slight prob with my download when it gets done downloading and the winzip is used to open it, there are no files there is just one thing called attachment-1, and when i asked it to view this "attachment" it says it has improper viewer to see this file and i can't extract anything into my Civ 3 Folder. But when i extracted to say my Scenrio Folder the Civ 3 recongizes it as Civ3mod.bic . what does this mean? plz help i need those units!

Comment

Originally posted by Kristjan

1) Diversion team: 1, 1, 1 (from the very start, probably Warrior Code, guerilla analogue of Warrior, does not become obsolete)
                Last but not least, Iroques special unit should be replaced with advanced version of guerilla warrior -- with stats of archer and guerilla capabilities. Their mounted warrior would have suited for special unit of some civ of Asian steppes (unfortunately, there is no such civ as Mongols are left out) but definitely NOT for Iroques as everybody reading these forums should know by now. That would make one more guerilla unit, guerilla archer, for Iroques -- but it would be OK for me if mounted warrior were replaced by it.

Comment

New version 0.21 Beta now available (see first post above)

Two new animations needed.

Special Air Services (Green Paratrooper by Mork) - Part 5

Truck (by Dark Sheer) for MOdern Infantry Movement - Part 6
                  Last edited by Kestrel; March 11, 2002, 22:04.

Comment

Part 6
                    Last edited by Kestrel; March 11, 2002, 22:05.

Comment

This may be a stupid question but I'm new here! Do these units replace units already in the game or are they added??

Comment

the zip files are real screwy. winace says it cant unzip them

i dont get it?

do you have a website?
                        eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

And still no guerillas...

Comment

Sorry - Still testing my version 0.22 (Same as v0.21 but one or two minor corrections) but with 2 kids under 3 and a full-time job I don't get as much time to do so as I would like.

Also - waiting to see if the new patch V1.17f coming out tomorrow forces me to recreate the bic file or not - I certainly hope not.

Trying to decide what else to add to add in to increase the Unique Unit complexity (and thus to make more complex the choices related to which Civ to choose),
                            which units to add to fill gaps in the Historical span of history and well as
                            which units that can fill the gaps in the stats (e.g. before crossbowman added the only unit with a 3/3/1 stat was the Unique Unit - Legionary).

Not much point adding new units if they are just the same stats as the old ones (unless they require a different mix of resources to build).

Also thinking through regards some more "what-if" alternate units which might have existed in alternate histories.

e.g. What if the internal combustion engine had never been invented or if fuel-oil resource not available, would a Civ create a "Steam Tank" (like an Armoured Traction engine, but with stats say 14/8/1 and req. Coal, Iron & Copper - giving some of the advantages of Infantry and some advantages of Artillery ? )

What about flying units - Hot-Air recon balloons etc. etc.

Ideas (with stats) that fit into the existing Civ3 panopoly of units welcome.

Animations for any of those units welcome.

I'm taking all suggestions on board.

Nothing is also stopping anyone from having a crack at adding an extra unit or two to their own version using the Civ3-Multi-tool and one of the existing animations if they want. If you do, let me know how they work out and which units fit in well without unbalancing the game or confusing the AI.

Cheers.

Comment

??

when I tried to use these, it completely crashed my game, I'm pretty sure they all went to the right dir's, but when I tried to start a game, I got a system error, that wouldnt clear, until I finally had to hot-reboot. (I hate having to do that)

anyways, I was using the "balancer" MOD, but I tried these on a clean install of civ3.

any help you can give would be awsome.
                              thx

edit:typo
                              Last edited by Synthetik; February 15, 2002, 10:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Kestrel
                                Sorry - Still testing my version 0.22 (Same as v0.21 but one or two minor corrections) but with 2 kids under 3 and a full-time job I don't get as much time to do so as I would like.
                                You have done a great job already. I only seeked assurement that guerilla units are not forgotten...

Also thinking through regards some more "what-if" alternate units which might have existed in alternate histories.

e.g. What if the internal combustion engine had never been invented or if fuel-oil resource not available, would a Civ create a "Steam Tank" (like an Armoured Traction engine, but with stats say 14/8/1 and req. Coal, Iron & Copper - giving some of the advantages of Infantry and some advantages of Artillery ? )
                                Well, THAT is great idea! Take a look into Leonardo's drawings for example, one can find even horse-driven armored vehicles there. And a helicopter, of course. Hot-air balloons were in few occasions used as reconnaisance units in the 19th century. What if gunpowder were never invented -- crossbows would develop to even deadlier weapon than they were (BTW, it IS a shame that there is no crossbow units in civ3! And Carthage must be destroyed, of course ).

Speaking of Tanks, Tanks and other modern units should certainly have a bombard capability. Tanks are better in bombardment than catapults are, believe me... Even longbow units should have some 1 point bombard.

Besides that, I have been thinking about completely different science paths for EVERY civ in some fantasy / SF scenario. Every civ would have its UUs and only few and quite non-impressing units would be common. For instance, one civ would master the art of flying, another the art of making sea vehicles, a third guerilla warfare and so on. It would be a huge job to complete and I unfortunately have for sure no time for this...

I did not want to put additional pressure to you and I am completely satisfied with your statement which read that you take every proposal into account.

One most stupid question still -- I downloaded your patch, but that keeps my Civ crashing. I play with the original version, is your stuff for patched version?

Comment

Working...
                                X