Inserting cd is tiresome please help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inserting cd is tiresome please help.

Every Time i Play Civ 3 I Gotta pop in the CD.
    Does anybody know how i can play the game by just clicking on the shortcut on my Desktop?

Errrmmm...have you considered buying the game?

Comment

I've purchased the game, installed the full version 700MB approx and added the patch to 1.16f. I have the same issue whereby double-clicking the desktop icon requests the CD be inserted.

I gather that you don't have this problem with your copy. Did you need to adjust any settings or is there a minor problem with mine ?

Comment

I used to have the same problem, but managed to fix it.
        I have PlexWriter 12/4/32 and Panasonic 24x cdroms both scsi and the civ3 cd didnt work (in winxp). I heard there was possible problems with certain cdroms so took the cd to work and gave it a try in my dvd/cdrom drive which is IDE. It worked fine there. So ended up buying a new dvd/cdrom drive for home just to play civ3. Ended up $89.95 for civ3 and $180 for a cdrom, all to play civ3.

Comment

Argh, you shouldn't have bought a new CD-ROM drive!

I had the same problem as you and downloaded the no-CD patch from www.gamecopyworld.com.

Works like a charm.

Comment

Thanks for the info.
            As I'm rather new to the downloading of patches and fixes lark, could anyone advise further which one I need.

I went to the sight you recommended and found these options listed.
            Civilization 3 v1.16f [ENGLISH] Fixed EXE
            Civilization 3 v1.07f [ENGLISH] No-CD/Fixed EXE #2
            Civilization 3 v1.07f [ENGLISH] No-CD/Fixed EXE
            Civilization 3 v1.07f [ENGLISH] Fixed EXE

As I bought the ver 1.07f and upgraded to 1.16f via the patch, I'm not sure if I should install both of the 1.07f "No-CD" files or if there's a correct sequence for installation.

Any advise is appreciated as I would hate to cause any un-necessary playing problems.

Andrew

Comment

Well I didn't upgrade my version from the website yet. But since the NoCD patch is just a replacement EXE file I'd guess that you just have to replace it after updating to 1.16f.

Comment

I Also Went to Game Copy World and downloaded the NO-CD file but there is one problem. The file is in .Ace . I Tried opening it but i could'tn. Did you have that problem? I would really apreciated.

Comment

The below is taken from "Wolverine's" response to a similar question posted on the "civgame.com/forum"

Go to "www.gamecopyworld.com

Find the Civilization3 page and the fixed EXE is a no-cd hack, make sure you get the version that corresponds to your game version level. If you have patched to 1.16 then the top fixed exe is for you.

You might need to pick up the packager program Winrar, which can be found under newbie hints on gamecopyworld.com

This increases performance greatly!"

If you use the "gamecopyworld" version;
                  type "newbie" in the search box
                  goto page 2 of 4
                  theres a link called "newbie hints" click on that
                  Part way down the page is the file you need.

I believe Winrar / ace is a similar idea to winzip and you can download it also from WWW.rarsoft.com. If I don't manage tonight then I'll definately try on the weekend. I have the info but no first hand experience, only Wolverines recommendation.

I hope this helps.

Comment

[SIZE=1]

If you use the "gamecopyworld" version;
                    type "newbie" in the search box
                    goto page 2 of 4
                    theres a link called "newbie hints" click on that
                    Correction to above, that should read goto page 3 of 4

Whoops

Comment

Comment

The patch works great.

I down loaded the No-CD patch onto my desktop along with the winace program.

Initially winace opens in German but the next screen gives you the option to change language.

Once the No-CD patch was opened it was just a new Civ3.exe file.
                        Replace the old civ3.exe file and bingo.

The game was starting to slowdown a little but the patch has cured this. No more installing the original CD every time and much faster gameplay.

Comment

Working...
                        X