invalid page faults

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• invalid page faults

I'm a happy lurker- actually this is my first post on this or any other forum.
    CivIII is great. Its different from earlier versions, which is causing some people problems, but its fresh and requires you to think outside the square, which is rare for sequels which usually just add another coating of chrome and a bag of pretty bells and whistles. Problems- yes there are a few, including a couple like stacking and sentry absence that are a pain.
    There is one bug that is beyond a pain- stability. After about 1500AD or so on large+ maps, the game falls over irregularly. There have been a few posts about this, mainly blaming a video card.
    I have the game on 2 systems- the one at the office is a dell 2gig 512m pent 4 running XP, and the one at home is a Compaq 500 128m pent 3 running w98. Both use ATI video cards. Both crash giving me invalid page faults once the game gets past 1500AD. There is no common cause- right clicking on a unit, or calling the civelopedia has done it- sometimes there is no action that I can see caused the crash- it just stops. In the past 5 days I have had 6 crashes- I've taken to saving the game after every turn.
    I've sent an email to Infogrames, but as Australia has no dedicated support address I half expect the US to reject my cry for help.
    Anybody have any ideas? If Firaxis aware/working on this?

Yes, I have also noticed a clear trend where people report random crashes.

I also experienced several game stoppers where I could not continue from any of the autosaved files. It appears that memory is corrupted at some point, but the game does not crash until later. It may well be that saves get corrupted and when continuing such a game, weird things happen.

I never had any crashes before the patch, so I am not playing until a new patch remedies the stability problem.

Comment

Yup, I just posted about a similar random crash problem in the CivIII General forum. Oh well.

Comment

As expected, my request for tech support from infrogrames got brushed off- I was referred to a $2 a minute "help" line operated in Australia. Thanks for nothing, guys.

Comment

It is 1540 AD and each time I conquer the Iroquois capital containing Shakspeare's Theatre I get a page fault:

CIVILIZATION3 caused an invalid page fault in
          module CIVILIZATION3.EXE at 015f:0049e917.

Rebooting or reloading the game for in stance at 1535 don't help. What can I do?

In other games I also experience a page fault every now and then. Rebooting helps. But not now.

Comment

Yep, I just posted a very similar thing in the Help, Civ3 keeps crashing thread.

And yes, Infogames is a bunch of useless morons when it comes to support.

I guess I'm an oldtimer, but I remember when programmers supported their own work. Nowadays they just 'out-source' that to someone who pays 15 year olds a cheap wage to send idiotic emails out in reply to support problems.
            Fear not the path of truth for the lack of others walking it.

Comment

Working...
            X