Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Display problem

The Problem Description:
    I launch Civ3. The Infogrames and Firaxis splash screens appear and the Civ3 introduction video plays to the end. The Civ3 music at the first control screen is playing but the control screen never appears. I can't minimize the black screen or in anyway get back to the desktop. It also happens if I don't play the intro video. I have experienced the same problem with, or without the patch installed. My monitor has a green light when it is powered on, the light turns orange when the problem starts. The screen area is set to 1024x768 and True Color (32 bit).

System specs:
    800 MHz AMD Duron
    640 MB SDRAM
    32 MB GeForce 2 MX
    Windows 2000 Pro
    30 GB with plenty of empty space
    15" MAG monitor
    DirectX 8.1
    BIOS, Nvidia drivers are updated

NOTE: I have been able to successfully install and run Civ3 at one of my computers at work. If only the boss man knew...

I actually read Dire Wolf's post in the Bug List and that may solve my problem. I'll install the reg hack from planetquake. Please feel free to let me know of other suggestions.

Comment

Have you been able to play other games at 1024x768?

Have you tried setting your refresh rate for your monitor to 60 hertz?

The light on your monitor is turning orange because it is longer getting a signal or because the signal it is being sent can't be handled. Hence my above 2 questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Travathian
        Have you been able to play other games at 1024x768?

I haven't tried. I will try later

Have you tried setting your refresh rate for your monitor to 60 hertz?

The setting is all ready at 60 Hertz and when I try to increase it 70 Hertz the screen goes blank, hmm...just like when I try to run Civ3.

The light on your monitor is turning orange because it is longer getting a signal or because the signal it is being sent can't be handled. Hence my above 2 questions.

Comment

Re: Display problem

Originally posted by DhulKhidr
          The Problem Description:
          I launch Civ3. The Infogrames and Firaxis splash screens appear and the Civ3 introduction video plays to the end. The Civ3 music at the first control screen is playing but the control screen never appears. I can't minimize the black screen or in anyway get back to the desktop. It also happens if I don't play the intro video. I have experienced the same problem with, or without the patch installed. My monitor has a green light when it is powered on, the light turns orange when the problem starts. The screen area is set to 1024x768 and True Color (32 bit).
          Nice rig - 640MB RAM? Very nice...

The other poster is correct - the orange light is your monitor protecting itself from a display/refresh that is too high to display. One thing that might correct this is to check and see if your monitor driver is actually installed, or if Win has you set up as a PnP or default monitor.

Comment

Thanks, RAM is so cheap these days I just couldn't resist.

I tried the registry hack at planetquake but that failed, same problem except worse, nothing would display. I have also looked at the registry edit that Dire Wolf mentions in the bug list and it doesn't work either. My display adapter allows me to set the screen to 1024 x 768. However, when I checked the registry key 4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 as mentioned by Dire Wolf earlier the maximum screen area listed is 640 x 480.

Example:
            8 640 480 60 70 72 75 85 100 120 0

Does this mean my display settings are lying to me? I have a 15" monitor. Do I need to get bigger one?

Comment

Originally posted by DhulKhidr
              Thanks, RAM is so cheap these days I just couldn't resist.
              No lie... I have 512MB DDR (Crucial, CAS 2.5, Registered), and it was under $100 at the time. Prices have gone up since then, but it's still reasonable.

Does this mean my display settings are lying to me? I have a 15" monitor. Do I need to get bigger one?
              Have you priced monitors lately? You can get a nice Hitachi 19" new at www.newegg.com for ~$250 before shipping. I just inherited a 3 year old 21" from work, so I am really loving it (I play Civ 3 zoomed out, now!).

Who makes your monitor? You should be able to go to their website and download the INF file for it (and you can probably use the one listed for 9x/Me, if that's all they have - W2K doesn't care).

Comment

Working...
              X