MOD: City, leader edits, plus Canada civ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOD: City, leader edits, plus Canada civ

Hi all. This is more of an edit than a mod.

To begin with, I made a pile of changes surrounding cities, leader names and tribes. Unfortunately, I didn't detail everything in a readme file, so let me highlight some changes.

Iroquois - all cities changed

The city name list was bogus. I thought it would be more appropriate to list cities as the tribes that comprise the Iroquis Confederacy. Of course there were only about 8 tribe names to use (i.e. Mohawk, Huron, Tobacco), so I expanded the list to include tribes from across North America. This is consistent, I think, with what Firaxis said they were doing with this Civ. The first 8 names are Iroquois tribes. The others are various regional nations (Blackfoot, Sioux, Cree, Pueblo, Navajo, etc.)

The Barbarian tribes have been changed accordingly.

Zulus - cities added, leaders added

Cetshwayo was listed under two different names. He has been moved to the first leader. I have added others from Zulu history.

Ondini is now the capital city (as it should be). This list was expanded drastically, as they are an *expansionist* civ, after all. The inclusion of Johannesberg, Benoni and Botshabelo give it some modern "feel".

Rome - leader changes

Maximus, a real but insignificant figure (used, I'm sure, due to Gladiator) has been replaced with Aurelius, also from Gladiator, but real and highly significant to Roman history.

Germany - cities added, leaders added

The cities list needed to be way longer, so here it is. It includes, BTW, a few Austrian cities (intentionally). I've added Rommel and Hitler to the leader list. Hitler is no doubt one of the most hated men in history, but if *that* were the criteria, we'd have short lists all around. There are some real butchers on these leader lists.

Russia - leader added

Donskoi, a defeater of the Mongols is included.

Japan - cities added, changed, leaders added

Tokyo and Edo are the same city. I kept the Tokyo name. I think Nagoya was the first capital under Tokugawa. I could be wrong. In any case, Kyoto remains here. Daigo, Sanjo and Takauij have been added as leaders.

France - added cities

Added a ton of cities to France.

New Civ - Canada replaces Persia.

Poor Persia. They're always the first to go in these mods, it seems.

Canada is industrious and scientific. (I was going to go Commercial, but kept industrious to maintain balance with Persia gone).

Prime Minister Trudeau is the leader and the unique unit is the Voyageur - an explorer unit with a 1 att and 1 def. Very, very good unit for exploring the map early on. Leaders include Gen. Isaac Brock and Billy Bishop, etc.

Full Civilopedia entries for Canada and the Voyageurs, but I could not get the pictures for these (or Trudeau) to work properly. I have included them here in any case.

I couldn’t fit the Voyageur file in the zip due to size. So to get that unit for Canada, make a copy of the Settler folder in Art/Units. Rename it Voyageur, and rename the settler.ini file within it to Voyageur.ini

Okay, let me know if you have any comments.

BTW...what does everyone think about adding scientists and artists to great leaders? It makes sense especially in light of finishing wonders.
    Attached Files

When you see where is the actual location of the former capital of the iroquois, Salamanca, it's strangely near Toronto, Ontario.

In all world maps we can download, we realize that if the AI manage Iroquois, America and Aztec, we discover that Aztec controls today's Mexico, America controls today's US, and Iroquois controls today's Canada.

To me, Iroquois has been added instead of sioux or incas as a way to add Canada without telling it. It's really obvious when we see world maps.

Comment

"Maximus, a real but insignificant figure (used, I'm sure, due to Gladiator) has been replaced with Aurelius, also from Gladiator, but real and highly significant to Roman history."

To be anal retentive about Roman history, you're slightly incorrect.

General, the Emperor from the movie is commonly refered to as Marcus Aurelius, the philosopher emperor (he wrote the Stoic masterpiece Meditations). The reason for the Marcus praenomen is that there's another later emperor, Aurelian, known as the restorer of the world for fixing a bunch of problems and building walls around Rome (the old ones Hannibal faced became obsolete around Caesar's time).

So, to be fully historically correct I would suggest removing Aurelius and adding Marcus Aurelius and/or Aurelian as leader names.
      Melius fracti quam flecti
      "It is better to break than to bend"

Comment

Originally posted by Marla
        When you see where is the actual location of the former capital of the iroquois, Salamanca, it's strangely near Toronto, Ontario.

In all world maps we can download, we realize that if the AI manage Iroquois, America and Aztec, we discover that Aztec controls today's Mexico, America controls today's US, and Iroquois controls today's Canada.

To me, Iroquois has been added instead of sioux or incas as a way to add Canada without telling it. It's really obvious when we see world maps.
        Salamanca was actually a heck of alot closer to New York than Toronto (which is in the former territory of a group known as the Neutrals).

I think including the Iroquois was nothing to do with Canada or not including Sioux etc. The Iroquois were simply the most developed of the native americans north of the Aztecs. During and prior to colonial times, the Iroquois were becoming a great power amongst the native nations and were busily gaining control of all the trade routes in the surrounding area. None of the other native groups could withstand them and even the Europeans did not challenge them much - they ended up being torn apart during the war of 1812 by conflicting loyalties. Also, unlike the Sioux or any of the other groups, this was a confederacy of a number of different tribes, united under a government with a sort of constitution. They are often studied along with Athens as a sort of primitive democracy as they had a form of representative government and a system of checks and balances. This makes them a great choice to represent the Indians of North America.

As for Canada, they are not truly an independant civilization. They are a nation, and a remarkable one, but have always existed under the influence of a greater power - either the US or Britain. They aren't any more deserving of a place than Australia, South Africa, or similar countries. I don't think Canada has been around long enough to be called a civilization either. America had to be included because they have become one of history's most powerful nations, but you can't say the same for Canada. And even there it is really odd to see Abe Lincoln sending out spearmen and chariots to attack. Canada deserves a place in a North America scenario, of course, but not in a worldwide game spanning all of history.
        Railroad Capacity - Version 2

Comment

I believe insignificant figure of history is misuse alot. To many people than significant figure of history is than warlike
          person who conquest other land. One of the significant figure of French history is they first King who was very weak in centeral authority as most French king where. He suvrise than a hostle evionment than past the crown on to his heir while slowly strengthen the crown. Compore to Louis the Pior and Louis the Saint who lead Crusade that ended up in diastate defeat.
          By the year 2100 AD over half of the world population will be follower of Islam.

Comment

To be anal retentive
            I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Working...
            X