Help with Lock Up's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Lock Up's

I have the new patch installed on the game. Yet the game still freezes up forcing me to do a re-start. I usually play on Huge Map's with all the civilizations. Could this have something to do with the lock up's?

I have P III 533 with windows 98. 128MB of SDRAM. Intel 810 chipset upgraded to the newest verions and I am running Direct X 8.1

Does anyone else have this problem or did the patch fix it for them?
    Justin J

I had the same problems re random freezes which did not get fixed by the patch. I'd suggest
    1.Uninstall game and patch
    2.Reinstall both
    That did it for me
    Are you certain you downloaded the "fixed" patch?
    Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the help. I just tried that but it still didn't work. It runs fine for a while, then it lock's up around 2350 BC or so. Usually around the low 2000's BC. I Downloaded the patch from the Civ3 web site.
      Justin J

Comment

I was getting lock-ups like crazy until I followed a thread regarding nVidia cards, and loaded an older set of drivers. Not a one since.

If you have an nVidia card, that could be it.

Comment

First off, get more memory, its dirt cheap and an easy upgrade. In Win2K I've seen Civ3 use in excess of 140mb of memory just by itself.

I've also heard people complain about memory leaks. Unlikely but possible, you might wanna consider saving and restarting your computer once an hour. (good reason to get up and stretch your legs anyway.)

Besides this, the usual most recent drivers for video cards stands, unless you have a card with a known issue.

When you uninstall, delete the Civ3 folder before reinstalling.

Have you tried playing the Civ3 tournament game? Or different map type/size? Try a large island map, with just one other civ, set your city to build a few warriors for defence, then wealth, then just keep ending your turn and see how far your get.

Comment

Working...
          X