Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, please.

Howdy,

Well, I've been playing this highly addictive game for about a month now, but something weird has started to happen, the weirdness looks like this:

CIVILIZATION3 has caused an invalid page fault in modul CIVILIZATION3.EXE on the address 017f:00403046.
    Indhold af registrene:
    EAX=00000000 CS=017f EIP=00403046 EFLGS=00010202
    EBX=005c6858 SS=0187 ESP=00abf9e4 EBP=01570eb0
    ECX=10f7d8ac DS=0187 ESI=10f7d8ac FS=52df
    EDX=00000f5f ES=0187 EDI=00000000 GS=0000
    Byte ved CS:EIP:
    8b 80 3c 01 00 00 83 c1 58 8b 50 04 52 e8 a8 80
    Indhold af stakken:
    00000000 004063f3 00000000 10f7d8ac 10f7d740 01d05c60 0000149e 00000000 00586642 005c6858 0050d38d 10f7d520 00abfa50 00593b1b ffffffff 004eaf38

(Partly translated from Danish, error message might read differently on other machines.)

Personally this error messages is a complete mystery to me, I have no idea what it is trying to say (aside that the game has crashed, of course), or what to do about it.

I used to have DirectX 8.1 but killed it so I could go back to 8.0a, still didn't work, have the latest drives for my videocard (I assume the latest is the 23.11 thingy), a GeForce DDR, and now I'm fresh out of ideas.

I'm playing with the v1.16f patch.

Oh, and my whole system looks like this:

AMD Athlon 750
    160 mb RAM
    GeForce DDR
    Sound Blaster Live! Bulk
    Running Windows 98 Second Edition

I suppose those are the most important information.

The error always happens at the same time, I have two games that now crash when it's my turn again, there does not appear to be any order or any chance of predicting when an ongoing game will crash, it simply does at some point in the game, though both of the games have crashed in the Industrial Age...

Anyway, if anyone has any idea, or suggestion, or any kind of aid they can offer, it would be very nice.

Right now about the only thing I can think of is reinstalling Win98se, and I would really much rather not do that.

Thanks in advance to anyone that might take the time to ponder my problem.

Nightingale
    "Beauty is truth, truth beauty, that is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know." -John Keats, from "Ode on a Grecian Urn"

Can you post the save?
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Too big?

I can try, though it is probably too big... 5½ mb
      "Beauty is truth, truth beauty, that is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know." -John Keats, from "Ode on a Grecian Urn"

Comment

Well, darn.

That didn't seem to work, if you have a fast internet connection, and you're willing to look at it, I could mail it too you?

Comment

How ig is it if you zip it?

Comment

Groovy

A lot smaller!

I'll try to attach it again...
            Attached Files

Comment

That seemed to work, and regardless of the result, thanks for taking the time to look at it.

Comment

At what time does the error occur?

What do you do before?

Comment

Should be quite easy, the game is saved just as a turn is ending, end it, wait until it's your turn again, some city will want a new build order, immidiately after giving it that new order, and moving on (either by pressing OK, or exiting the city screen), the game crashes... at least it does for me.

If it doesn't for you then I guess it is a problem with my system entirely, that wouldn't surprise me greatly...

Comment

It seems to work for me. I ended the turn, traded maps with a civ, (which I don't remember now), traded Tech with Romans. Clicked OK on that order. Everything seemed to work.

I'll test it again later.

Comment

Well, if the game doesn't crash for you then it probably won't crash at all, I've tried over and over again to tweak or alter something both in the game, and on my 'puter, the game still crashed each and every time I'm done with that build order.

So I guess it is a problem with my system only, that's good to know at least, the option to reinstall Windows is starting to sound like the way to go.

Unless you have any idea what could cause the kind of page fault as shown in the first post?

Thanks for your effort though, much appreciated.

Comment

You must have attached the wrong sav. There was no building finished the next turn.

Comment

No? That's strange, Japan.sav is the file's name.

It's probably because we play using different rules, I've altered my civ3mod file quite a bit to better suit my preferences.

Comment

Could you post that file then?

Comment

Surely! Let me see...

That should do it.

Nice smilies here.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X