OLD BUG: Game won't start/zealous copy-protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OLD BUG: Game won't start/zealous copy-protection

Here we go again..... For all those of us who were the victims of the over-zealous copy-protection on Civ III and had to get cracked .exe files to be able to play our originals. The new patch once again renders our game unplayable until it a crack becomes available. This is starting more and more to look like a farce.

Re: OLD BUG: Game won't start/zealous copy-protection

Originally posted by kazper
    Here we go again..... For all those of us who were the victims of the over-zealous copy-protection on Civ III and had to get cracked .exe files to be able to play our originals. The new patch once again renders our game unplayable until it a crack becomes available. This is starting more and more to look like a farce.
    Tell me about it!!! Im not at home, wont be until some 2 days before Xmas and I dont have the cd with me because I was playing with a cracked exe so I wouldnt have to carry the cd around with my laptop.
    So I downloaded the patch to get rid of those 100+ bugs and surprise surprise!
    Bravo firaxis merry xmas 2 u 2. Not everyone is a bloody warez dealer yuou know.
    Can anyone fix this for me please? If so please send it to barbabril@yahoo.com . Thanks.

--- syrio ---
    Last edited by Syrio; December 8, 2001, 07:28.

Comment

If anyone manages to bypass this, please post a link here too.

When will companies realise that copy protection causes more problems than it solves? Anyone who wants to copy a game will do so, with very little trouble. Meanwhile all the genuine users are left with a game they can't play until someone hacks the code. Not good

Comment

Ditto here. I'm running Win98 on VPC 5.0, hosted by a PowerBook G4. That's as vanilla-flavored a Pentium III configuration as you can have, given that Connectix takes pride in abiding by the hardware specs. (Connectix markets VPC for Windows as a bug-isolation tool, since their configuration has no vendor-specific hardware flakiness.) Apparently the copy protection in Civ3 relies on some common deficiency in CD hardware. There's a reason Apple actively discourages software vendors from using copy protection...

Comment

I'm a bit irritated with this too. My cd is a little cracked in one edge and sometimes the game doesn't recognize it, so it crashes. I'm tired of seeing that blue screen of death, it's been dozens of times since the patch, and none at all before it. I hope someone cracks the damn .exe soon!

Comment

I broke the the drawer for my CD a few weeks ago and it will a a few months before I can afford to get a new CD rom. So I DLed the cracked .exe so I would not need the CD to play. I guess I understand why they don't want people being able to play with the CD in and all... I am just complaining and all. I hope someone fixes this soon. It would be cool to play CIV3 with the patch before march.
            " Conceit, arrogance, and egotism are the essentials of patriotism." - Emma Goldman

William Seward Burroughs
            February 5, 1914 - August 2, 1997 R.I.P. Uncle Bill, you are missed.

Comment

Working...
            X