No Scenario Editor....Lets do it ourselves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Scenario Editor....Lets do it ourselves

It appears that we editing has a back seat on the priority of Civ 3 'Things to do list' - Thats OK, just annoying.

I guess the next best thing to do would be to build one ourselves.

I believe Gramphos and JimmyH were volunteering to do one. Is that right?

May I ask how you plan on doing it. C++? Or Visual Basic? Are you planning on making it a 'visual' editor (i.e. a picture of the map) or a sav game editor like the Civ 3 copy tool.?

Some info:

There are three editors currently avaiable. Shouldn't we all work together on a 'super' editor?

Comment

I can't speak for jimmyh, and will not tell anything about his savegame editor, and how it develops. But we've been helping each other out with the SAVs in our development fo a while.

We have had some discussion, and the post in the C3CT thread was mostly about that we have not worked so mush on our tools in the last week, and only developed on the already known parts, but now when we know that there will be no Scenario editor in the patch we will continue our developing. The first thing to do is to cover the updated fileformats, and make the tools support them.
      As it stands right now we have no plans to combine our editors, but we keep a discussion in our development so that we don't do double work. That way will it faster be possible to edit the SAVs the way you want by using a combination of editors.

I'm working on some new things to my editor, but I have no timeline for the development, and it may take a while to get things right (at least if it shall be saved as well as loaded).
      Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

My editor will be visual.

The current state of my editor has a visual map from the save game and currently the only things that can be changed are the improvements and borders.

I'll be posting a basic version this weekend.

And just to clear this up, my editor is writen in C++.

Cheers.
        James.

Comment

And my editor will most likely stay textbased as I do it in Visual Basic, and large graphics require a lot of memory to handle. Still it might be possible (see Colmap), but I would need to load so many files, and that wold most likely require a combination of C++ and Visual Basic to not be too slow.

If possible I'll try to load a smaller map showing the terrains, but I have to handle the coordinate system in some way then.

I don't prommis any graphic interface, but I think that jimmyh's tool will handle this fine.
          Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Working...
          X