Is it the game or is my PC just puny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it the game or is my PC just puny?

Now i'm playing an OCC on Deity in a huge map with 16 civs. 70% water, 5 billion years old and the rest is normal. I'm now in the Middle Ages and i've managed quite well i must say.

But here comes my problem. I've noticed this before in regular games, but whenever i conduct diplomacy, the game falters big time. The sound becomes 'shocky' like a broken record.. tingting tingting tingting. And if i remain in diplomacy mode long enough, because i'm quite a diplomat , the game simply crashes "this program has performed an illegal operation and will now shut down" (i think that's what it says in English, because my machine has dutch Windows).

Why does this happen and how can i solve it? It has happened before, but then i didn't really mind, because my diplomacy sessions weren't that long nor were they really important. But now i NEED to be a diplomat. I'm stuck now where i have discovered some civs have communications to other civs, but not all civs have the same communication. My plan is to buy communications at the lowest price and sell them to the highest bidder, thereby eventually making loads of cash for me But to check the prices offered and asked i need to go by each civ (14 discovered directly and indirectly), inquire about their prices, compare and then finally trade. This is going to be a very long session, so i don't want my machine to crash in the middle of negotiations.

Incidentally, does anyone know whether other civs will like me less if i continue to contact them but not making a trade? I could save, contact and then load after i write down the relevant data, thus avoiding contact, but that's really tedious (57% ring a bell?)

Also, does anyone know if it is possible to check foreign intelligence like in Civ2 without contacting the respective civs?

edit: btw i have an old (at the time it was new) IBM Aptiva, 450 MhZ, 64 MB RAM and 712 MB free disk space left.

thank you
    Last edited by AkwaticDudeCity; December 5, 2001, 14:36.
    ugh crud, why won't they fall prey to my Machiavellian schemes?

Performance: Have an AMD 1.4 Ghz and played at a huge map 255x255 16civs ... computer needed about 5 to 10 minutes in the year 1500 or so :-(
    Also freezes in Diplomatic screen
    Crashes when Computer builds cities at the wrong place (too close to the pole)
    In an conquered city, new workers get sometime strange names "YYYYY Worker" or so and if you save it crashes ...
    and so on ... but on Saturday all will be fixed :-)

Comment

it doesnt matter what kinda system you have. its the game.

just wait till the patch this weekend.

Comment

All but the most top of the line PC will struggle with 16 civs on a huge map. This is why the game defaults to 8 civs and why we recommend 8 civs or less for optimal performance.

Dan
        Dan Magaha
        Firaxis Games, Inc.
        --------------------------

Comment

Hey Dan, out of curiousity, does the game take advantage of multiple cpus? Not that it matters, since NT doesn't support DirectX and I'd probably get fired anyway... who am I kidding, I wouldn't get fired.
          kmj

Comment

Working...
          X