• Show
Clear All

• The unstoppable page file (WinXP)

WinXP Pro Full Retail
    AMD K6/2 @ 400 Mhz
    128Mb RAM
    ATi Rage Pro Turbo 8Mb

All appropriate updates installed from Windows Update

It's on the slow side, but i expected that, however...

Problem encountered on Huge map (Satya's v5.0 map of Earth), 12 civs (initially @ 370BC with around 100-120 cities on it).

After playing for many turns, the page file starts growing totally out of control.

The first time this occurred, Civ3 fell over whilst XP was trying to grow the page file above the maximum of 392Mb that it had provisionally been set at.

Re-started with the page file set @ 512Mb Minimum and maximum as top of free space on drive (approx 1.6Gb).

Game ran fine for quite a few turns, before becoming totally non-responsive and developing a phenomenal amount of hard drive thrashing. Quickly (or not as the case was given the sheer degree of unprecedented system slowdown) fire up Windows Task Manager and watch in amazement as the used size of the page file grows from around 200Mb and grows and grows and grows and grows inexorably upward without stop - at 1.4Gb i killed Civ3 then and there. Interestingly, during this time Civ3 was using only 25Mb of physical memory (WTM reported peak physical for Civ3 as being 110Mb).

If i restart the save game it'll run fine for several turns (unfortunately don't know how many) before the unstoppable page file begins again.

This is odd as i do have a save game that's also on 12 civs and a Huge map generated by the game itself that's now up to around 1200AD with no problems so far, although i'm unsure as to how many cities, units and terrain mods there are.

The only changes i've made to the game as as ships are to use sn00py's graphics mod and both Che Palle's improved wonder screens and smiley people.

Have'nt yet tested whether i get this demented abuse of my page file and hard drive in compatibility mode or on my Win98 install (i'm dual-booting at the mo).

Anybody else experiencing this behaviour?

Ok not sure here but try turning the music off and see of you still get the same problem if have already turned the music off then i have idea whats wrong

Comment

Working...
    X