In the year 1808 time did stop...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the year 1808 time did stop...

Please wait... read the prompt in the corner of the status box after I'd hit enter. And so I waited. And waited. And waited. Got up. Went to the bathroom. Came back. Waited. Waited. Waited. Read a few pages of a book. And waited some more. Finally, I came to a startling conclusion: the system was not churning through huge amounts of unoptimized code! Nay, the game was locked up! Sure enough, Cntrl-Alt-Del revealed "CivIII-Not responding"

No problem. Happens every now and again to the best of programs. I reload. Get to the same point and begin waiting. Waiting. Waiting. Waiting. Waiting. Waiting. Cnrtl-Alt-Del. Uh-huh. "CivIII-Not responding."

Hmmmm....curiouser and curiouser. Reboot system. Reload same saved game. Complete turn. Hit enter. Go through enemy turns as before. Whenever it's obvious my turn is about to begin hit Cntrl-Alt-Del. First person to guess what I see in the "close program" screen gets a stuffed Alexander the Great doll with lifelike constipated grimace...

This was one of the best games of CivIII I'd played so far and the first that I was probably going to see through to completion. Although I wasn't winning I did feel like I was in the running, and I had invested at least 24 hours play time up to that point (Huge map, 10 civs). Question is, has anybody experienced anything similar? Yes or no, what is the probable cause? I'm guessing the saved game became corrupted somehow, but that's just pure speculation on my part. Aybody else have theories?

My particulars:

PIII 866
    256MB SDRAM
    20GB HD, 7GB free
    32 MB NVIDIA Riva TNT2 Model64 Pro
    SBLive Value
    Windows ME
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    -- C.S. Lewis

All I know is that your signature quote is very hilarious. Good work! LOL! However, I sadly must report that...knock on wood...I have never had the game lock up. Now, I'm sure you know that as time advances, the game takes much longer to generate each AI turn.

Comment

Post the game and we'll test it...

Venger

Comment

Alas, the file in question is 627kb in size--127kb too big for the attachment limit...
        "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
        -- C.S. Lewis

Comment

I agree the quote is hysterical.

BTW, did you try closing all of your background programs. You never know but sometimes it works.

Comment

Alas, the file in question is 627kb in size--127kb too big for the attachment limit...
            What about zipping it?
            "It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver" - Jean de La Fontaine

Comment

Or restart playing from an earlier save. In my experience Civ III sometimes corrupts the savegames leading up to a crash.....

Comment

I've had the game lock up several times. One constant situation was when I attacked a city with a bomber which was interecepted (a pity MY pilots can't manage that ). It happened EVERY time I restarted that saved game, it got intercepted, and the game stopped working. I stopped using bombers for several turns because of that.
                You sunk my Scrableship!

Comment

Yes, it'll be a corrupt game ... and something you are doing is triggering it off.

It could be a building getting completed, a unit attacking a aprticular other unit or .. in my case ... trading surplus coal. Everytime I did it, the game locked up.

I went back a few save games, didn't trade coal, found the corrupt save game file etc ... I managed to get past it in the end.

You should go back a few turns.
                  Orange and Tangerine Juice. More mellow than an orange, more orangy than a tangerine. It's alot like me, but without all the pulp.

~~ Shamelessly stolen from someone with talent.

Comment

Interesting...

Lowered acceleration of my graphics card one tick. Shut down everything except systray and Explorer and launched CivIII. Loaded a saved game from 1798 (five turns back from my 1808 game).

Froze up in 1800 this time...
                    -- C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                    X