Attn: Lock-Up Bug (reproducable)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attn: Lock-Up Bug (reproducable)

I did this last night, I knew it shouldn't work... but I didn't expect it to lock up. Thank god for the the autosaves.

During upkeep I had just discovered feudalism (maybe a few turns passed). I zoomed to a city to change production. Right-clicked on a spearman, clicked "upgrade to pikeman" and it upgraded. I then right-clicked on the pikeman and clicked the "fortify" option. No sooned than I finished the game locked up. I loaded up an autosave of the last turn and zoomed manually to a city and tried again. Same result.

what I see going on:

Using my experiance as a programmer, I suspect that the right-click menu appears, but does not check if the unit has already moved. When you upgrade a unit it marks that unit as 'moved'.

To fortify a unit you need a movement point left (you can fortify and unfortify till the cows come home, which is great since I often fortify something that I didn't want to... damn fast computers). The context sensitive menu that appears should only show the disband option, unless that requires a movement point, which depends on implementation. If that is not the case, then right-clicking should not show any options for a unit in a city that has already moved (via the city screen).

Again, this is based on what I am guessing the implementation is. I could be wrong, but if an order is not allowed because there are no movement points left, the order should not appear on the right-click menu in the city view.

-Steg

As a side note, does anyone know what causes the crash bug? I get "civ3.exe cause a general protection fault in explorer.exe" or something like that, at odd times. One time I got it while switching from the city advisor to science advisor by clicking on the faces. One time I was happily moving units. I suspect it could be my sound driver, the sound that indicates the advisor screen (paper rustling) wasn't finished when I tried to switch to the science advisor. I'll look into updating my sound driver.

bump.

need to warn people about this.

I won't bump this again... I only bump my posts once if I deem them that important. just fyi.

Comment

Try turning off the music

Turning off the music worked for me, see my post.
      "Decadent Western Infidel On Board"
      "Even Hell Has It's Heroes"

Comment

Working...
      X