Superunits Mod - looking for ideas, inspiration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superunits Mod - looking for ideas, inspiration

I've got the idea to make a mod, just for fun, where at a point in the mid-late game (industrial age) the civilizations get access to their special units around the same time, and to have these special units be extremely powerful, a quantum leap beyond what is normally available at the time. The idea is to have a cataclysmic war to end all wars. I need ideas for what kind of units to make for all the civs. I'm thinking of doing them along a fantasy-steampunk theme (some magical, some Verne-esqe super-science, some a combination), and I'm going to reuse unit graphics since I'm not skilled enough to do more than mess around with numbers in the editor.

Some of my ideas are undead warriors for the Egyptians (a powerful infantry unit with strong magical bombardment abilities), a supersubmarine for the French, maybe some kind of flying ghost ship for the English (though I don't think it's possible to make a unit that travels over both land and water), and maybe some TRUE immortals. I want them to be overwhemingly powerful but not so powerful that they can automatically defeat a well fortified city, and expensive enough that most civs won't have more than a handful, if that.

I'm hoping to handle the timing by classifying the units as nuclear weapons so they are unlocked for all civs by one of them building a wonder with the same flag checked as the Manhattan Project, but with low required techs so that everyone will have the tech for them by the time someone builds the wonder. I don't know if you can make a unit that doesn't act like a nuke that has that flag, though, so I may have to make it a tech with no prerequisites you get at the beginning of an age and hope that most of the civs get it around the same time.

Any ideas?

Cool, I got some suggestions here that I'm going to go with. So far we have 8.

France - Nautilus - a fast, powerful submarine with a 3-range bombard attack. I'm thinking I'll go with 16.16.8 16.3.3 - uses Nuclear Sub icon. Maybe give it Blitz so it can decimate entire navies

Egypt - Ancient Magi - a medium-fast infantry unit with a powerful shortrange bombard - 14.14.3 18.1.3 - not sure what icon to use for it.

England - Ghost Ship - an air unit with a long range (10 or so), not familiar enough with air unit stats to make a guess as to what I'm going to do with them. Uses Man-o-War icon.

Persia - Immortal - strong defensive unit, maybe 10.24.2 - use the Immortal icon

Japan - Steam Mecha - 24.16.1 16.1.2 - probably use the Samurai icon

Russia - Tesla Device - uses Radar Artillery icon, 14.20.2, 14.1.3, ZOC, possibly Blitz

India - Dervish - fast offensive infantry, not-so-hot defense, 20.8.4, ZOC, Blitz

Germany - Langerhammer, a powerful artillery piece. 0.1.1 (has defense so it won't be captured), 24.6.4

Thanks to Sturmhauke of SDMB for the great ideas! Stats will probably be adjusted for balance.

Comment

Working...
    X