Why can't I build an IronWorks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't I build an IronWorks?

I have a city with iron and coal within it's radius, but cannot build an Ironworks. Is there any reason anyone can think of that I cannot do this?

Venger

are both squares being used by your city? or is one being used by a nearby city? not sure if this affects it or not, but I think it does.

Comment

Screenshot of the city in question please - then we might be able to tell why you cant build it. Ive only had coal and iron in a city radius once, but i was able to build the ironworks.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

coal and iron within the city radius means being within the 2 tiles radius, not the culture radius (where it could go to 3, 4 tiles..).

Also, don't you need to have the industrialization advance before you can build it?

Comment

Answer found:

The damn coal has gone away! Doh!

Venger

Comment

Is the Ironworks the most useless wonder in the game?
            Sure it's effects are great, but only in the off hand one in five game chance that you able to build it. I have played four games, and only once have I seen a city capable of building the Ironworks. Anyways, they should make it more useful and easier to build if they are going to include. But enough of my crazy ranting.
            "It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver" - Jean de La Fontaine

Comment

Ironworks is so rare to build it should be available sooner & be much more powerful. Most maps don't even have a coal & iron in city distance (unless you're playing small or tiny maps).

Comment

Yeah, it should be like every other wonder, dependent on if your entire civ has access to it, rather than in a city radius.

Comment

They should just give us the Iron Works along with our first settler and worker! To arms!
                  "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatum." — William of Ockham

Comment

it is really rare for coal and iron to be appear in the city radius together!

If they allow ironwork to be built if iron & coal is within the culture border then it will be more useful.. if the civ has one coal and one iron then it can only build one ironwork..

Comment

I wasn't even aware that Iron Works existed until my third or fourth game. Then, I wasp playing along and one of my advisors informed me that the people wanted to build it. As luck would have it, the only city that was capable of doing so was also about as far from my Palace and my Forbidden Palace as you can get! So, after corruption took it's toll there wasn't a whole lot of production benefit from building it. (Nevertheless, behind the "wonder hoarder" that I am, I went ahead and burned a Great Leader to build it anyway--just so that I could say that I had!)

By the way, that happened to be on the map that Apolyton provided for the first tournament competition. (Which I chose not to enter after I found out how terribly easy it is to cheat and artificially inflate the end score. Ah well.)

Comment

Working...
                      X