Editing the tech tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editing the tech tree

I was working on a civ2 mod, and rearranged the ancient advances to the old way, then booted up to check it out. I discovered that the Science advisor screen was so bad that some of the advances could'nt even be accessed at all, and the research queue was inoperable.

do I need to rearrange the position of the advances on the screen in order to make it work right? If I do, any tips?

on another note, I heard that somebody had made a fundamentalism government, but couldn't find it in the files forum. I wanted to check and see if it was true to the civ2 variety.
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Oh, come on people! hasn't ANYONE rearranged the tech tree. I have edited the x,y coordinates of the advances in order to have them in order, but choosing a tech is still impossible from the tech tree screen. it does work fine from the popup when he asks you what to research next, but I don't think that can be called up at will.

it is sort of driving me buggy, so to speak.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...

Comment

Someone else posted that the science advisor screen becomes corrupted if techs are modified in a scenario. If you modify the main game .bic however, the tech tree is fine. Hope that helps.

Comment

Well, here's the rub:

Whenever you modify the rules of a BIC file, if the filename isn't civ3mod.bic, the game sets a flag and assumes it's using modified rules.

There is a known bug (which the patch will address) where advances aren't clickable in the science advisor if the game is using modified rules.

The other thing that the game does when it's playing with what it thinks are modified rules is draw the lines between the technologies in the science advisor dynamically. This is to accommodate mods where you've changed the screen positions of techs around. A lot of people think this is some sort of bug, but it's not, it's just not very..... pretty

Normally when default rules are loaded, the game loads a background image for each era of the science advisor, and each image has the arrows drawn on the background (which is why the default rule lines and arrows look so much better)

Dan
        Dan Magaha
        Firaxis Games, Inc.
        --------------------------

Comment

But Dan, I'm sure you also agree that this that I posted is a bug! Because I didn't install any mod!
          "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
          Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
          Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
          Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

OK, so I have to wait for the patch in order to have it work right. At least I know it's not something that I'm doing wrong. I can continue to work on this mod and hope it works when patched.

Comment

But why are those lines drawn from the upper left corner of one box to the upper left corner of another. Don't you know how big the boxes are so that you at least can draw then from the upper right corner to the upper left, or even better form the middle right side to the middle left side.
              Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Working...
              X