CivIII & Nvidia driver issues under win2k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CivIII & Nvidia driver issues under win2k

On my system ( duron 750 on msi kt133a mobo, 256 sdram, geforceIImx32mb, win2k sp2 ) I have noticed extreme performance differences depending on what drivers you use. Using
    the latest xp/2k drivers ( 21.81 ) scrolling, loading advisor screens,
    moving units etc was extremely slow, although the wait between turns never was more than a minute in modern era standard map, 8 civs. Reverting to 12.41 or 11.01 drivers caused a huge performance gain, and now the game pretty much flies.Scrolling is much quicker, advisor screens pop up almost immediately, even turns resolve faster. So all of you with performance issues, I'd say try reverting your drivers...
    ps : the problem of the map taking minutes to update after building an airport, capturing a city etc... doesn't seem to happen here.

yep, this was mentioned earlier on and I've noticed this with Civ 3 in the few minutes that I played it before relegating it to the "Play after Patch" queue.

Apparently it was sloppy coding on Firaxis' part and hopefully will be fixed (old SMAC 2d code ?)

anyway, I don't feel like downgrading my drivers for a sloppily coded game. in the queue it goes !

Comment

You could also try setting Windows graphics Hardware Acceleration to the second worst (slide left) - I had the exact same problemes and this worked for me. Best of all I don't have to install older drivers and this method doesn't require a reboot.

Comment

Working...
      X